• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The meaning of life

Digby

Major Contributor
What is it...is hi-fi meaningful to you or something else. Maybe the meaning is just to be amply distracted, so you don't have to think about insoluble questions? :rolleyes:

harleydave

I enjoy movies and music a great deal. Winters are long here in Upstate NY, that's when most of my viewing/listening occurs. So it's important and meaningful to me to have decent sound quality. Just as once winter is gone, hopping on my motorcycle and riding a 400 mile day through the mountains is important and meaningful. Both hobbies soothe my soul and are therapeutic for me.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My family is the most meaningful to me. Seeing them happy, makes me happy even when I'm not happy. If I can sacrifice something to make them happy, it would be a joy to do.

Outside of my family, I have few hobbies, HiFi/music, combat sports and traveling/seeing wonders of the world.

My casual goal is to one day get myself a 4x4 camper to go on extended trips/expeditions with my wonderful wife to see how amazing our planet is; unless we become grandparents, we will then follow our kids and there families around to enjoy their company. And if we hit the jackpot, we will bring them with us on our adventures.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifi is interesting but I wouldn't call it meaning of life stuff, more a means to an end; the content I play thru the gear is closer to it. Even though audiophilia is a bit looney, that's part of what makes it interesting. My major other expense is various types of bikes (got infected with the e-moto bug lately particularly), that's probably closer to it....and is more physically involving for me so adds a level of involvement sitting in a chair doesn't do.

DonR

Major Contributor
"Life is not a mystery to be solved but a reality to be experienced... [it] can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards."

- Kierkegaard

JohnnyAudio

Listen to " Nature Boy" for instructions

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is it...is hi-fi meaningful to you or something else. Maybe the meaning is just to be amply distracted, so you don't have to think about insoluble questions? :rolleyes:
For me personally Hi-fi isn't, music is though. I think sometimes we all lose site at what's really important. I recently have gotten rid of everything except my speakers and cheap class D amp, when I move later in the year going to buy a good amp, DAC and CD transport and stick with it going forward and spend spare money on music instead. Kind of really disappointed in myself for falling victim to the never ending quest of chasing something better.

Anton D

Wow.

Meaning of life.

I guess I am an optimistic nihilist. It all adds up to nothing, so we have to create our meaning. I guess the meaning is to leave to world better than I found it, and my reward is intervals of enjoyment.

Tough topic.

Different answer tomorrow.

dtaylo1066

Wow.

Meaning of life.

I guess I am an optimistic nihilist. It all adds up to nothing, so we have to create our meaning. I guess the meaning is to leave to world better than I found it, and my reward is intervals of enjoyment.

Tough topic.

Different answer tomorrow.

That's a good philosophy.

Carlos Santa once described us as something like a bunch of cosmic mutts zooming through an ever-expanding universe.

In many ways we are a thoughtless, careless, helpless and pathetic species. Certainly art, and very much so music, serves as one of the better parts of man's ability to create, achieve and affect. And all cultures for more than 5,000 years have created great music of one kind or another.

Be a good person, treat others with respect and dignity, be tolerant, make your place a better place for you and others, and listen to good music that inspires and uplifts you. That's not such a bad way to spend a life.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Hi-fi is very meaningful to me. It’s a source of joy and relaxation but in many ways it is also an exercise in humbleness.

Is it the meaning of life? No.

Should my kids ask me one day what the meaning of life is I would probably tell them not to worry too much about it, and that the fact that they exist and are meaningful to others is more than good enough.

Top Bottom