• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Acoustic Frontiers Guide to Bass Optimization | Free eBook

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
He talks about how two subs can be used to cancel length modes. Nyal is the first person to introduce me to this concept a few years ago. Unfortunately, it's still not a well understood method for reducing room modes at a single position. IMO, it's the best way to setup subs for a single listener. Of course, he knows a lot more than what's stated in this paper. There's not sufficient detail in this paper to describe a method for integrating 2 subs to destructively drive the length modes in this paper.

He also mentions Welti, et al. The Welti method is not designed to destructively drive modes. It's much better to describe the Welti method for setting up 4 subs as a room mode distribution method which results in lower mode amplitude and a wider bass sweet spot. IMO, the Welti 4 sub method is better suited for the home theater which needs a much wider bass sweet spot.

I'll see Nyal in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can get him to listen to my system again.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DJ

I need to listen to your system too. I also need to several other systems with supposed great bass response. I am thinking more and more without any proof that we integrate bass in a different way than just what reach a microphone and is integrated within a relatively small window. It seems to me that smooth bass responses is required within a large area in the listening room for correct bass perception/reproduction whther it be in HT or 2-ch . No Proof of that yet, just a hunch.

Top Bottom