• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

testsound with group delay 0, 4.1 ms and 8.2 ms at 40 hz and 80 hz tone . can you hear diffrence ?

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
in this subwoofer test thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ured-10-subwoofers.49042/page-12#post-1794341 there is also groupdelay show and i notice that there are subwoofers that have a group delay of 5 ms(closed) 7 ms open upto 20 ms the SVS at 40 hz. so i do audio test with original and a phase shift of 60 and 120 degree (1 full cycle have 25 ms). this result in 4.1 ms delay at 40 hz .as other signal i add 80 hz 0 ms at a little lower level which is common behavior for bass sounds. i have also add delay time for 8.2 ms 40 hz. i do this in free melda production moscilator. I use 2 in the DAW and mix it. there can add a phase shift value to the waveform . you can also do the test with other waveforms

you can compare in abx test only as a continues play because the phase shift produce a click at start depend on phase shift. need do it very short because of forum limit. for me 4.1 ms is clear hearable it sound not as a single signal it sound as 2 signals and miss clarity and location good in middle . best use headphones(cheapest headphones reach not more as 2.5 ms group delay at 40 hz, on my speakers i hear always this delay . note that speakers have at 80 hz too noticable group delay. so you should subtract groupdelay of 80 hz from group delay of 40 hz . but 4.1 ms happen at speakers. this test show also that it is important that subwoofer is at correct distance. at least with a subwoofer you can correct this delay by put subwoofer more in front until you hear only 1 sine tone and not 2 . 1 ms delay is 34 cm

Attachments

• 40 80 hz.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
in this subwoofer test thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ured-10-subwoofers.49042/page-12#post-1794341 there is also groupdelay show and i notice that there are subwoofers that have a group delay of 5 ms(closed) 7 ms open upto 20 ms the SVS at 40 hz. so i do audio test with original and a phase shift of 60 and 120 degree (1 full cycle have 25 ms). this result in 4.1 ms delay at 40 hz .as other signal i add 80 hz 0 ms at a little lower level which is common behavior for bass sounds. i have also add delay time for 8.2 ms 40 hz. i do this in free melda production moscilator. I use 2 in the DAW and mix it. there can add a phase shift value to the waveform . you can also do the test with other waveforms

you can compare in abx test only as a continues play because the phase shift produce a click at start depend on phase shift. need do it very short because of forum limit. for me 4.1 ms is clear hearable it sound not as a single signal it sound as 2 signals and miss clarity and location good in middle . best use headphones(cheapest headphones reach not more as 2.5 ms group delay at 40 hz, on my speakers i hear always this delay . note that speakers have at 80 hz too noticable group delay. so you should subtract groupdelay of 80 hz from group delay of 40 hz . but 4.1 ms happen at speakers. this test show also that it is important that subwoofer is at correct distance. at least with a subwoofer you can correct this delay by put subwoofer more in front until you hear only 1 sine tone and not 2 . 1 ms delay is 34 cm
Did you make an ABX yourself to show here?

OP
B

bennybbbx

Did you make an ABX yourself to show here?

I use ABX in settings keep playback positions when changing tracks. it is very clear hearable for me . the original sound also a little louder. that the original is a little louder is pysical correct because when all harmonic frequency are in phase all peaks are add at lowest frequency peaks

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use ABX in settings keep playback positions when changing tracks. it is very clear hearable for me . the original sound also a little louder. that the original is a little louder is pysical correct because when all harmonic frequency are in phase all peaks are add at lowest frequency peaks
A bit sloppy test from me; easy to hear though.

Skärmavbild 2023-12-11 kl. 13.32.10.png

OP
B

bennybbbx

A bit sloppy test from me; easy to hear though.

View attachment 333322

when get after more than #3 test mistakes is normal because the brain get tired after longer time. I am able to hear allpass filter diffrences also on 1.5 khz. BUT i always get 3 tries correct then i get strange feeling in ear from the phase mistakes and i am not able to hear diffrences. I then need a rest . After 30 minutes or more of recover do 3 tests more then i can hear diffrences. audio science underestimate also that phase errors do after longer hear bad sound ear tired or better it is brain tired and want not hear anymore.

Top Bottom