• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technology vs Counterfeit Wine

Wombat

Master Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@MediumRare How seriously do you take a technology like this?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Gimmick. Most of the counterfeiting is in French collectibles, and it's far too late to chip (say) a 1978 DRC La Romanee. And it's not going to be difficult to reverse engineer this.

A counterfeit Grange could only be an improvement on the original.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Gimmick. Most of the counterfeiting is in French collectibles, and it's far too late to chip (say) a 1978 DRC La Romanee. And it's not going to be difficult to reverse engineer this.

A counterfeit Grange could only be an improvement on the original.

C'mon. The industry sees the problem as much wider than collectables. Globalisation has created a large consumer demand for quality wines from long established vineyards/wineries which are limited in their output.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
C'mon. The industry sees the problem as much wider than collectables. :)
But that’s not a particularly robust or viable solution. But nice PR piece.

A nickel or dime extra per bottle knocks out 90+% of the market. Of course, real collectibles are not numerous.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MediumRare How seriously do you take a technology like this?
It is a real problem, and not just collectibles. There's very little volume in collectibles. The real money is in the high-volume mid-priced wines and those are much easier to fake as well. And some buyers are looking for gray-market products and are all too willing to "look the other way" if they are getting a hot price. Like someone else said, it's very hard to prevent it. First, buyers need to be aware, second they need access to a way to check, third, if they are getting scammed there will be a way around it. Think about currency, there are several anti-forgery technologies, but how many does the average person notice or check for? It's really a benefit only for the distributors and professionals who have the will, time, and means to check.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I'm with SIY on the good PR piece aspect. I always mistrust articles that don't have links to their evidence.

1. They do claim that it particularly effects premium wines.
2. The global value of wine trade is 360B or so 70B in fake wine represents 20% or so of all wine, not believable.
3. If you research the incident they cite it involved 10M liters of Spanish Rose labeled made in France, hardly a blip in the scheme of things.

With all due respect IMO many of the high volume mid-priced wines are already "fake" with prices inflated by enormous advertising budgets. One of the worst offenders is Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio for instance (IMNSHO of course).

Last time I was in Bordeaux I saw mobile labs offering the industrial manipulation of the day, at Lynch Bages the day I was there the reverse osmosis truck was doing it's thing. At another chateaux they didn't even hide the carboys of suss reserve from Germany.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Last time I was in Bordeaux I saw mobile labs offering the industrial manipulation of the day, at Lynch Bages the day I was there the reverse osmosis truck was doing it's thing. At another chateaux they didn't even hide the carboys of suss reserve from Germany.

I witnessed a 100 Parker Point Chateauneuf-du-Pape being spiked with Grenadine. So yeah, I have a deep cynicism, especially after 15 years in that industry.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm with SIY on the good PR piece aspect. I always mistrust articles that don't have links to their evidence.

1. They do claim that it particularly effects premium wines.
2. The global value of wine trade is 360B or so 70B in fake wine represents 20% or so of all wine, not believable.
3. If you research the incident they cite it involved 10M liters of Spanish Rose labeled made in France, hardly a blip in the scheme of things.

With all due respect IMO many of the high volume mid-priced wines are already "fake" with prices inflated by enormous advertising budgets. One of the worst offenders is Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio for instance (IMNSHO of course).

So the idea that a wine maker could be ripping off its customers invalidates the idea that they themselves would not want to be ripped off? It's rather clear that authenticity efforts are to protect them as much or more than us as consumers.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
So the idea that a wine maker could be ripping off its customers invalidates the idea that they themselves would not want to be ripped off? It's rather clear that authenticity efforts are to protect them as much or more than us as consumers.

Of course there is that element, the idea of fake Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc to anyone that knows anything about wine is hilarious.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I second that. In my youth I saw a big tank druck from Italy driving through a German wine village. My grand father said that even the Italians seem to like german wine. My father wondered though what the German wine makers would make with all this Italian wine ...

At that time there was a slogan in the German wine ads, like "German wine, blessed by the sun". We changed it to "German wine, blessed by Italian sun"... :D:D:D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't worry about this much. I've got lots of trust that none of the wine I buy at Dollar General is fake. Though the clerks distrust my ID sometimes. I only wish I was young enough to need a fake ID. Then again, its possible those gold medal winners I purchase there aren't the real deal. Sometimes I do get a bottle with off taste. I do wish they would carry Malbec however.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Of course there is that element, the idea of fake Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc to anyone that knows anything about wine is hilarious.

If it's bought out of the same bulk tank, is it really counterfeit?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I witnessed a 100 Parker Point Chateauneuf-du-Pape being spiked with Grenadine. So yeah, I have a deep cynicism, especially after 15 years in that industry.
What did you do in the industry?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What did you do in the industry?
Some winemaking, some consulting, some judging (US and France), but I was mostly known for inventing and commercializing the modern synthetic wine cork.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some winemaking, some consulting, some judging (US and France), but I was mostly known for inventing and commercializing the modern synthetic wine cork.
Very interesting, there are a few different ones of course. Which one?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Very interesting, there are a few different ones of course. Which one?

Coextruded polyolefin. There's probably a billion or two per year being produced these days by a couple different companies. The molded kind are pretty much long gone.

Top Bottom