• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Technics SL-Q202 cart recommendation

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I think of sibiliance as bright as being different phenomena, at different Hz on the audio spectrum.

Also, sibilance can have a heavy distortion component.
Ah, I didn't know that.

@Helicopter Quite reassuring. I might do a full circle and put 540 at the top of the list again. So, if set up right, it shouldn't be noticably bright? Maybe that's the one after all.

I really can't think of what else to check as far as my set up goes. I have an analogue, manual scale for VTF, I checked it against what the weight on the arm says and what the digital scale says (borrowed, mine is on the way). AS I set to have the cart standing still on a blank record (from a DJ, I can't find one to buy anywhere), bubble level to have it straight, and the ruler to have it perpendicular in every way imaginable. the compliance is up there... That might be a bad thing. 20cu is not what this arm was envisioned for. It was 17-18cu (loosely calculated, I know, it's hard to convert - I went with the 1.75).

I'll check the speed. All parts are original. my father used the Concorde on this deck and I'm not really for that choice. But the headshell got lost in all the commotion. I busted my back looking for NOS headshell to get the weight right again. Found one produced in 70', the original part so same weight. Now I'm trying to find how to close this case. A cart that would be so good it would shift the bottle neck back to the TT, arm or whatever.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't think of the VM540ML as "bright", which I associate with a boost in the 3-5 kHz presence region.

The VM540ML uplift is above that, in the 7-15kHz octave.

To me, that can either sound like an increase in resolution, or make metal instruments sound a little more metallic. Brass horns sound more "brassy", cymbals have more "shimmer", guitar strings sound more "metallic".

It's not an unpleasant coloration on the right material.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
281$ US the best price I could find with a big price cutter for the 540.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I just did the RPM test. Just like the day it left the factory!! Perfect 33 and 1/3 and perfect 45. Just amazing.

I'm really satisfied.

What are 540s going for in your parts?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Awesome -- what did you use to test the speed?

Re: 540:

I paid $249 USD from Amazon
32 bucks lower than I found... But I don't think that would be available in my neck of the woods. I'll ask around if there are any New Year's discounts.

I used an android app called RPM Speed and WOW. I don't expect it to be "atomic" correct, but I was only gonna look for a better one if this one demonstrated some errors.

The compliance is just too good to be true and compatibility as well. The cart I'm using now makes my arm front-light. I can barely make up for it with the weight that's on the back of the arm. I have to slide it all the way to the front to get recommended. An extra 1.5 grams will even make this more comfortable to experiment with VTF.

Measurements show nice behavior in the lower end as well. Was that your experience?

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
???

Are you about to do something dumb?
Thanks for worrying!!
1609872869438.png
No, nothing dumb. The nice lady contacted me and told me they will lower the price of at 540, so, as i promised, I'm buying.

OP
killdozzer

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Ah, okay. Congrats!

"Hold my beer" is usually used for stupid party tricks; that's why I asked. :)
No, I know that. That was the point, like spending 260 bucks on a cart is never a very bright idea.

Is there any truth to the info I heard about records needing to be extra clean for ML stylus?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You will hear dust more than a less resolving cartridge, but it has never been a tradeoff with a net loss for me. I will always take the improved information retrieval.

That's probably one of the reasons why the DL-103 fans like it.

In addition to being tolerant of sloppy alignment, it's more forgiving on crappy, dirty records.

I prefer to solve the problem entirely by booting crappy, dirty records out of my collection. ;)

Top Bottom