• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teaser picture- identify this amplifier

laudio

Saw one of these on sale local to me. Have some of the Elite separates from same time period, but not an integrated amp from the same or similar lineup. @restorer_john - listening impressions?

Luxokraft

There was a great big blockmount poster of this amplifier in the entrance of my local HiFi store with it's top off. The words were "Pioneer A-717- for audiophiles only". Then I saw one at the HiFi show with a perspex cover highlighting the parts inside. I'd already committed to the Sony ES route but I had a soft spot for the big Pioneer. So I added it to the collection as a 'rainy day' amplifier.

There's also the matching PD-7300 CD player in the storeroom bought at the same time- also never used- only opened the box to take out the supplied AAA batteries in case they leaked over the years. :)

Soon after, I was selling Pioneer and Yamaha, but within a year or two, the high end two channel was essentially finished and all things were AV. During that time, I went crazy buying all sorts of stuff at clearance/rebated dealer cost. Restoration of older gear became huge in my life and 'new' stuff lost its appeal, so there's heaps of sealed time-warp stuff to come out for air as I tackle my storerooms.

My plan is to pull out the interesting ones (well built) and remind people how it used to be for us. :)
Mine always running lire new as of 15 august 2023

Attachments

• 20230814_230335.jpg
    20230814_230335.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 93
D

Deleted member 48726

There was a great big blockmount poster of this amplifier in the entrance of my local HiFi store with it's top off. The words were "Pioneer A-717- for audiophiles only". Then I saw one at the HiFi show with a perspex cover highlighting the parts inside. I'd already committed to the Sony ES route but I had a soft spot for the big Pioneer. So I added it to the collection as a 'rainy day' amplifier.

There's also the matching PD-7300 CD player in the storeroom bought at the same time- also never used- only opened the box to take out the supplied AAA batteries in case they leaked over the years. :)

Soon after, I was selling Pioneer and Yamaha, but within a year or two, the high end two channel was essentially finished and all things were AV. During that time, I went crazy buying all sorts of stuff at clearance/rebated dealer cost. Restoration of older gear became huge in my life and 'new' stuff lost its appeal, so there's heaps of sealed time-warp stuff to come out for air as I tackle my storerooms.

My plan is to pull out the interesting ones (well built) and remind people how it used to be for us. :)
So. That was a few years ago. What happened to your plan? ;)

Luxokraft

Buy my A 717 pioneer ultimate référence one in 1988, after sound and vision give it best product award of the year telling that this integrate surpass many high end separate at 10 time the price. Still running today as of january 2024 with only a professional cleaning and a non-necessary change of the output relay (5% diff. From the originals specs). Really love it and i don't understand the craze about Sansui when my A 717 blow them

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Buy my A 717 pioneer ultimate référence one in 1988, after sound and vision give it best product award of the year telling that this integrate surpass many high end separate at 10 time the price. Still running today as of january 2024 with only a professional cleaning and a non-necessary change of the output relay (5% diff. From the originals specs). Really love it and i don't understand the craze about Sansui when my A 717 blow them

36 years and still going strong- all 43lbs of it.

dom_st

wow, this thing looks much nicer from the inside than the outside, haha. I see there are quite a few of these amp being sold through ebay, some directly (maybe refurbished) from japan. Mostly in the range between 350-450 Euros, but you can even find some below 200 Euros. Oh i am tempted, but only because of the beautiful inside.

egellings

Major Contributor
Not personally having the breadth of your experience which apparently includes amplification gadgetry requiring U-joints, I have no idea.
I have a Yamaha preamp with a U-jointed shaft like that.

Top Bottom