• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac AI-503 vs Teac AX-505 (IcePower vs Hypex)

mr.k

I need integrated amplifier with small footprint. It will be very visible so I want it to look good. And have vumeters :)
As much as I could find, my only choices are Teac AI-503 and AX-505. Which one to choose?

AX-505
Pros - newer, more power (Hypex NCore 70/115W into 8/4 ohms)
Cons - less inputs, no pre-outs

AI-503
Pros - more inputs (optical, bluetooth), has pre-outs
Cons- older, less power (ICE 22/43W into 8/4 ohms)

Since I tend to keep my gear for very long, I like AI-503 more because of pre-outs, so if I decide later to add more power, I can use it as a preamplifier.

On the other hand, currently I'm using fairly low sensitive B&W686 (85ish DB) and don't plan buying new speakers immediately. Would 22 wats be enough for them?

Or should I go with Ax-505, which has more power, so I wouldn't probably need additional power in the foreseeable future.

Btw. I live in apartment and have small kids so I mostly listen at moderate levels.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is hard to say if 22W is enough because each 3db requires twice as much power. At low volumes, you will be using a lot less than 22W. However, if you listen to high dynamic-range music (like Classical), you do run the risk of clipping.

I have the AX-505 and I am loving it! The VU meters are awesome. That said, I doubt they are reliable enough to tell if there is clipping.

The AK4490 DAC inside the AI-503 is not bad, but I suppose you can do better with even an entry-level Topping. The AX-505 has XLR inputs, so you can also use a balanced DAC.

What is the price difference where you live? If the AI-503 is a lot cheaper than I guess there is no harm getting it. Worst case, you may need to get a power amp. You will need to get a DAC for the AX-505 anyway. The NT-505 stacks nicely with the AX-505 and it is Roon Ready. Quite pricey though.

OP
M

mr.k

I will be buying from Amazon. Although RSP for AX505 is around 1400 euros, every few months price falls to around 850 euros (using Keepa chrome plugin to monitor price fluctuations). AI 503 is also around same price, therefore the dilemma :)

NT-505 is also one pretty box that stacks nicely as you say, but pretty expensive for what it can do.
It's hard to justify its price against something much more functional like RME Adi 2.

Thx for answering, btw :)

curiouspeter

I will be buying from Amazon. Although RSP for AX505 is around 1400 euros, every few months price falls to around 850 euros (using Keepa chrome plugin to monitor price fluctuations). AI 503 is also around same price, therefore the dilemma :)

NT-505 is also one pretty box that stacks nicely as you say, but pretty expensive for what it can do.
It's hard to justify its price against something much more functional like RME Adi 2.

Thx for answering, btw :)

Do you use Roon? Do you already have a DAC?

If you plan to buy a nice DAC anyway (like the excellent RME), AX505 looks like a better choice. Otherwise, AI503 can get you started with just one box. You just have to be a bit more mindful with the volume. After all, 22W vs 70W is a matter of less than 6db.

Do you need a streamer as well? I use a $70 Pi running Ropieee (or you can get Volumio).

OP
M

mr.k

No, I'm not a Roon user.

PI3 streamer already in place (currently on Moode, Volumio before).

I'm planning to buy RME not only for its DAC capabilities but for treble/bass/equalization as well, so I don't need optical inputs on amplifier.

My only concern was lack of pre-outs on ax-505. As I said to someone here, I rarely listen loud anyways, but when I see guys here always hungry for more power, I have this FOMO feeling :) (what if I wanted to add more power later?).

Nevermind, I'd probably go for ax-505, and see how it works for me.

Thanks!

curiouspeter

No, I'm not a Roon user.

PI3 streamer already in place (currently on Moode, Volumio before).

I'm planning to buy RME not only for its DAC capabilities but for treble/bass/equalization as well, so I don't need optical inputs on amplifier.

My only concern was lack of pre-outs on ax-505. As I said to someone here, I rarely listen loud anyways, but when I see guys here always hungry for more power, I have this FOMO feeling :) (what if I wanted to add more power later?).

Nevermind, I'd probably go for ax-505, and see how it works for me.

Thanks!

The average house in America is close to 280 square meters. Many people live in detached houses that do not share walls with neighbors. It is easy to understand why they want/need more power. You only gain 9db going from 25W to 200W. You lose almost that much sitting far away from the speakers in a large room.

I think you will be happy with either. The upgrade path will just be different in the future.

I am glad that Teac makes equipment suitable for smaller home. My home is way smaller than the typical houses in this country.

Top Bottom