• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 243 86.5%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is not by chance that Amir takes 1% (corresponding to -40 dB) as the threshold.
[...]
I am taking about the distortion measurements for headphones/IEMs, as the point was about audible distortion and not maximum power.
Here's Amir's personal distortion threshold for headphones:
Ollo Audio S5X headphone THD distortion measurement.png
10^((40-94)/20)*100=0.2% THD. Not 1%.

Same story for IEMs.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Blon HBB Z300 can be ordered with one.
I cannot use IEMs for a useful length of time. I get an itch within a few minutes and if I continue use for an hour or two despite the itch it becomes real discomfort that takes a day or more to disappear.

Unfortunately the indi IEM subculture that's flourishing at present isn't something I can take part it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot use IEMs for a useful length of time. I get an itch within a few minutes and if I continue use for an hour or two despite the itch it becomes real discomfort that takes a day or more to disappear.
Unfortunately the indi IEM subculture that's flourishing at present isn't something I can take part it.
Are there 'recommended' types of music to be listened with IEMs?
Any genres to be avoided?
Could this be your 'itch' problem?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am guessing the itch is ear-gasm from the ear hair and bass response from the IEMs. I get those and they are annoying.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This review is top of the line.
Agreed. A little below is the TempoTec Sonata E44.

But they have the new BHD Pro released which should be pretty similar to the Space.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's Amir's personal distortion threshold for headphones:
View attachment 297873
10^((40-94)/20)*100=0.2% THD. Not 1%.

Same story for IEMs.
Ok, but usually 1% distortion is rightly considered to be a (conservative) threshold of audibility (therfore I mixed it up). If Amir takes 0.2%, this seems excessively cautious. By the way, for speakers he uses 50 dB, but independent of measured SPL, so not a constant level of distortion, which I don't really understand.

Galke6

This maybe will sound very noob but I can pair this dongle with an amp? I always has that question of the possibility of pair a dongle dac/amp with a desktop amp

abm0

Forum Donor
This maybe will sound very noob but I can pair this dongle with an amp? I always has that question of the possibility of pair a dongle dac/amp with a desktop amp
Yes, it can give you 2 Vrms single-ended at high impedances, so you could use it as a line source for most amps.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You speak of features (10 of them), I spoke of design success: One does its (single) design mission splendidly... the other fails in most - if not all - of its (ten) design features.:facepalm:
The Roksan fails in nothing as far as I can see.

You are comparing a single feature component with an entire complex product and you well know that. It's just a simple DAC. A tiny 2 chip subset of a real component in a little box with a wire hanging out. Of course it can perform well in isolation- it doesn't do much at all.

No excuses for the Roksan's overall poor performance, but compare apples with apples.

Not this:
1688861693987.png

With this:
1688861661260.png

Labjr

Major Contributor
I've been using the Fiio Music App. The only music player I've found that doesn't crash my old phone while playing DSD files on my DAC/AMP. Seems to have lower overhead than most.

Glen20

Could be contact dermatitis (irritant or allergic) from one of the materials in the tips or the iem. But more likely the tips. You could try wearing them without tips and see if they are comfortable, and if so, try a different type (material) of tip. Tape the offending tip to back of hand to see if you get rash (after consulting with your doctor of course.)

elole

I don't know what the "phase compensation" means. Which ones are FIR and which are IIR?
I'm not sure which is which, but I do know the usual English names for the filters, you could continue searching from there. In order:
1 (short delay fast roll-off)
2 (short delay slow roll-off)
3 (fast roll-off)
4 (slow roll-off)

Top Bottom