• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TAD R1 and JBL Everest DD66000 found at a dump after a flood

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello - a year on. Well it's interesting what we find on the forum - I came across this today. Last year when this was posted - I was rather diverted as you'll realise below.

This was my kit - and it was not at the dump at the stage of the photo - it was on my front lawn in fact. Just for reference, here's a photo taken a few days earlier, of flood water flowing through my shed (as seen in the rear of the original photo in this discussion). Maybe around 2.5m - 4m deep and roaring past.

View attachment 359424

As you can see this was not an average flood. It rose about 2m to get to our house, then another to 2.7m in our house in about 3 hours. It has been assessed as a one in 500 year event -

Flood protections designed for 100 year events were unable to cope. 8 people lost their lives. All single story dwellings in our neighborhood were destroyed and everyone has left - some pending rebuild, some not.

We were lucky having a two story house with precast concrete construction. Except for the concrete, the bottom floor and all services were destroyed. We have rebuilt now, but we are still repairing surrounding damage (about 1m of silt, all farm fences destroyed) over a year later, The district will take some years to recover.

Regarding the gear - these speakers were part of a set of equipment I'd gathered as I could afford them, and as opportunities arose over many years. Yes they were insured, for what I paid for them - they can't be found to be replaced for this price of course. The photo was taken some days after the flood - the house was still being cleared out. We had no power, cell phone communication or internet. There was no time to get into details with any of the equipment. A friend did wash down and dry my ss gear. I finally got to look at repairing it about 9 months later. I spent considerable time trying to resurrect it - with some success, most commonly followed by failure a short time later, repaired again followed by failure a little later again. I gave up. My advice to anyone flooded - forget about trying to fix flooded electronics.

The TAD speakers went to an interested party who did manage to retrieve a few parts. After a week in the water and sludge the cases were completely shot.

Sorry, no 6 car garage, no porsches here. Our much more mundane cars floated away to be caught around the area in trees and buildings. The cables were not expensive.

I'm not looking for any sympathy. It is what it is, but I Just thought the original post and some assumptions, deserved a bit of context, particularly since I'm a member here.
Wow, sorry to hear about that. I think these days past assumptions about safety from weather-related disasters aren't holding up as well as we'd hope. In my area, we're not at much risk for floods but "the big one" is probably going to force a reset on my own belongings at some point. In CA the fires will threaten anything that earthquakes don't. I guess the best we can do is enjoy things while we can.

Glad to hear you and yours were OK, but it's a shame about the speakers. Still, I think if you can walk away from something that severe with only some wrecked stuff, well it could be worse.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello - a year on. Well it's interesting what we find on the forum - I came across this today. Last year when this was posted - I was rather diverted as you'll realise below.
Wow, just saw it today for the first time... so sorry to see this, but am glad to hear you and your family are safe and getting your home back together again.

ta240

Major Contributor
I understand the point, but supposedly we were safe (and still are assessed as safe) to a 1 in 100 year event - this was assessed as a 1 in 500 year.
Alternatively to dictating where to build, risk based insurance seems logical to me. Then people will make their buying decisions accordingly.
Apart from floods though, what about risks from - wild fires, avalanches, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, coastal inundation, costal erosion, volcanic activity, hurricanes, sink holes ........ Should people not be allowed to build in Auckland with around 50 dormant volcanoes, the last of which went off about 600 years ago....? Unfortunately while New Zealand has great scenery, it's on the "ring of fire" and is actually seen as a bad insurance risk :confused:
When looking to relocate within the US I ponder "Do I want floods, fires, earthquakes, volcanos, hurricanes, tornados or some combination of those?" (I also consider snakes, spiders and scorpions)
Currently at this location, we've evacuated for a flood warning that would have put us 8' under water, had nearby fires, a couple minor earthquakes and even a few small nearby tornados. That gave me Bingo on the Disaster Bingo card. Oh, and we frequently vacation in tsunami zones.
I had a boss with a house near a river that regularly floods. He had his house raised up to keep his insurance coverage and the next flood still got it. I never heard how it ended but it turned out they were 3" short of where it was supposed to be raised to.
I saw new houses for sale along a river where the entire first floor was just block walls supporting the 2nd floor living area. Even the A/C unit was mounted at the higher level. I looked at it and instantly fell in love when I realized the entire square footage of the house was matched by the downstairs 'garage'. I'd just have to be okay with losing everything that was in it.

Flood protections designed for 100 year events were unable to cope. 8 people lost their lives. All single story dwellings in our neighborhood were destroyed and everyone has left - some pending rebuild, some not.

We were lucky having a two story house with precast concrete construction. Except for the concrete, the bottom floor and all services were destroyed. We have rebuilt now, but we are still repairing surrounding damage (about 1m of silt, all farm fences destroyed) over a year later, The district will take some years to recover.

Good to learn that you are okay.

Murrayp

Forum Donor
All good - thanks for your thoughts. Yeah - disaster bingo is about right really, and I agree if we can walk away we are lucky ..... I visited a local friend of a friend to hear some MBLs yesterday - turns out he was caught up in a powerline triggered wildfire a few years back - add an earthquake that completely flattened the region in 1931, and ash from volcanoes in the 1886s (minor occurrences since) and we seem well served for disasters here. I'm hoping a concrete amphibious house on poles won't be necessary but its starting to sound worryingly logical ........

Top Bottom