• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TAD R1 and JBL Everest DD66000 found at a dump after a flood

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Read the story by pressing here.
333867200_928639918149942_1384919393422774967_n.jpg

Together with Revel Ultima Salon2, TAD Reference One and JBL Everest DD66000 are my top 3 loudspeakers: All of them are amazing, and they are looking (*) excellent as well in my point of view. (*) In normal condition, not in this photo.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Link (to something on Facebook) does not seem to work.

Edit: on my phone that is.

This is what the tablet shows:
IMG_0152.jpeg

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Insurance payoff? Anyone that can afford that kind of kit probably said, "Screw it. I'm getting new... Right after I get a new house and fill up my six car garage! Now, where did I put the phone number of my Porsche salesman?"

D

Deleted member 48726

Insurance payoff? Anyone that can afford that kind of kit probably said, "Screw it. I'm getting new... Right after I get a new house and fill up my six car garage! Now, where did I put the phone number of my Porsche salesman?"
Exactly. I'd done the same thing. And if you got special insurance covering all electronics faults as well..

Penelinfi

I wonder what you could salvage from it. No doubt there's water and mud in all the voice coils

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I wonder what you could salvage from it. No doubt there's water and mud in all the voice coils

The horns! Salvage THE HORNS!!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
One extreme example:

Might not be exactly like “new out of factory” but some desperate folks in the world (with the skills and means) might still be able to salvage whatever’s left even after such a disaster.

D

Deleted member 48726

One extreme example:

Might not be exactly like “new out of factory” but some desperate folks in the world (with the skills and means) might still be able to salvage whatever’s left even after such a disaster.
And time on their hands! :)
Thing is with corrosion, corroded metal is oxidized and is thus missing mass afterwards. -Tolerances are not what they used to be.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
spend all that money on speakers but not spend anything on making your property flood-resistant?

mk5566

spend all that money on speakers but not spend anything on making your property flood-resistant?
Exactly what my first thought after seeing the title, people able to buy those live in a flood area !?

D

Deleted member 48726

Exactly what my first thought after seeing the title, people able to buy those live in a flood area !?
They often do. They have these multi million houses right at the waterside. Barricading would destroy the view so they don't. Well, in my country this is a huge problem (for those 1 %'ers) so having had heavy rain and flooding and storms for some years now, there now is a growing market in fortifying the grounds of these 1 percenters homes.

Murrayp

Forum Donor
Hello - a year on. Well it's interesting what we find on the forum - I came across this today. Last year when this was posted - I was rather diverted as you'll realise below.

This was my kit - and it was not at the dump at the stage of the photo - it was on my front lawn in fact. Just for reference, here's a photo taken a few days earlier, of flood water flowing through my shed (as seen in the rear of the original photo in this discussion). Maybe around 2.5m - 4m deep and roaring past.

1711525756577.png

As you can see this was not an average flood. It rose about 2m to get to our house, then another to 2.7m in our house in about 3 hours. It has been assessed as a one in 500 year event -

Flood protections designed for 100 year events were unable to cope. 8 people lost their lives. All single story dwellings in our neighborhood were destroyed and everyone has left - some pending rebuild, some not.

We were lucky having a two story house with precast concrete construction. Except for the concrete, the bottom floor and all services were destroyed. We have rebuilt now, but we are still repairing surrounding damage (about 1m of silt, all farm fences destroyed) over a year later, The district will take some years to recover.

Regarding the gear - these speakers were part of a set of equipment I'd gathered as I could afford them, and as opportunities arose over many years. Yes they were insured, for what I paid for them - they can't be found to be replaced for this price of course. The photo was taken some days after the flood - the house was still being cleared out. We had no power, cell phone communication or internet. There was no time to get into details with any of the equipment. A friend did wash down and dry my ss gear. I finally got to look at repairing it about 9 months later. I spent considerable time trying to resurrect it - with some success, most commonly followed by failure a short time later, repaired again followed by failure a little later again. I gave up. My advice to anyone flooded - forget about trying to fix flooded electronics.

The TAD speakers went to an interested party who did manage to retrieve a few parts. After a week in the water and sludge the cases were completely shot.

Sorry, no 6 car garage, no porsches here. Our much more mundane cars floated away to be caught around the area in trees and buildings. The cables were not expensive.

I'm not looking for any sympathy. It is what it is, but I Just thought the original post and some assumptions, deserved a bit of context, particularly since I'm a member here.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh* I lived 50 feet from the steep bank of the mighty Columbia River for ~15+ years and saw what >many 1000s of square miles of glacier and mountain runoff will do. The entire river would increase from it's usual average of ~70 feet deep to about 120+ feet deep and carry all away without doubt. Big river. @amirm know what I speak of, I was in the mountains of it's origin and drank it, scuba'd it, fished it and collected stray booms of cedar that we burned for heat. Flooding is real and those that live on floodplains should not get insurance at the expense of the majority. It's not fair. I show a river that is about 200m wide and ~70 feet deep before it gets really big in Washington State USA.
EDIT:
I was not thinking things through and was a bit of a binary digital thinker when I wrote.>
"those that live on floodplains should not get insurance at the expense of the majority."
I apologize to anybody that found this frustrating. :D
26004390_web1_210204-TDT-Treaty-update_1.jpg

Columbia-River-Treaty.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sprellemannen

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Hello - a year on. Well it's interesting what we find on the forum - I came across this today. Last year when this was posted - I was rather diverted as you'll realise below.
Interesting to read. What are your speakers today? And the rest of your hi-fi system's components?

Murrayp

Forum Donor
What are your speakers today? And the rest of your hi-fi system's components?

I had a pair of B&W800D3 as well - they were upstairs so survived and I use those currently. They would not have been my first choice as the survivor, but I do enjoy listening to them despite their acknowledged character.

I bought a pair of Benchmark AHB2s and a Tambaqui dac (yeah I know ....). Unfortunately I recently tried a Grimm MU2 and, ummm ...... I now have a problem :facepalm:
Interestingly the only kit that actually survived the flood was a Topping dac and pre - I guess that sys something!

those that live on floodplains should not get insurance at the expense of the majority
I understand the point, but supposedly we were safe (and still are assessed as safe) to a 1 in 100 year event - this was assessed as a 1 in 500 year.
Alternatively to dictating where to build, risk based insurance seems logical to me. Then people will make their buying decisions accordingly.
Apart from floods though, what about risks from - wild fires, avalanches, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, coastal inundation, costal erosion, volcanic activity, hurricanes, sink holes ........ Should people not be allowed to build in Auckland with around 50 dormant volcanoes, the last of which went off about 600 years ago....? Unfortunately while New Zealand has great scenery, it's on the "ring of fire" and is actually seen as a bad insurance risk :confused:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of B&W800D3 as well - they were upstairs so survived and I use those currently. They would not have been my first choice as the survivor, but I do enjoy listening to them despite their acknowledged character.

I bought a pair of Benchmark AHB2s and a Tambaqui dac (yeah I know ....). Unfortunately I recently tried a Grimm MU2 and, ummm ...... I now have a problem :facepalm:
Interestingly the only kit that actually survived the flood was a Topping dac and pre - I guess that sys something!

I understand the point, but supposedly we were safe (and still are assessed as safe) to a 1 in 100 year event - this was assessed as a 1 in 500 year.
Alternatively to dictating where to build, risk based insurance seems logical to me. Then people will make their buying decisions accordingly.
Apart from floods though, what about risks from - wild fires, avalanches, landslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, coastal inundation, costal erosion, volcanic activity, hurricanes, sink holes ........ Should people not be allowed to build in Auckland with around 50 dormant volcanoes, the last of which went off about 600 years ago....? Unfortunately while New Zealand has great scenery, it's on the "ring of fire" and is actually seen as a bad insurance risk :confused:
Hmmz. I guess I was being a bit of a digital binary thinker when I made that comment. I know better but for some reason @ the time I did not think things thru properly. I was basing that comment on a example that we have where a small village was flooded 3 times in ~10 years. They finally moved everybody out and built new homes on higher ground. But that is a extreme example and it was totally built on a floodplain. 1:500 is reasonable. 1:100 is kinda OK but there are escalated risks for sure.

Top Bottom