• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Summer Olympic Games - Brazil - Rio de Janeiro - Rio 2016

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
CqVvfKAWIAESWKL.jpg

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rio games&mie=oly,["/g/11c3ymxwjf",6,"g",2,"/x/3hh0vmvfwfc50",null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,null,20]

Another Gold medal for Brazil, Bravo! I was watching Live Men's Volleyball Final...Italy vs Brazil.
Amazing! Some of the best games I saw on NBC Live coverage of the Olympics in Rio.
I usually watch CBC Live, but this time around, on the last day of the games, NBC was the one showing Men's Volleyball Final for Gold.
CBC was presenting Live Men's Mountain Bike Final: http://olympics.cbc.ca/cycling/index.html
______

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36727946
______

Bonus: http://summergames.ap.org/node/389979

"After the teams traded four tense goals in the shootout — with both sides lining up arm in arm for each attempt, barely able to watch — Brazilian goalkeeper Weverton dove to his left to stop Nils Petersen's shot."

And that ↑ was the first key moment in that shoot-out. Neymar just sealed the deal...the Gold medal.
______

Are you guys excited as much as I am! :)

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I've watched the entire closing ceremony, I've heard many commentaries by sport broadcasters from all around, some have been everywhere in the world as broadcasters for the summer Olympic games since the last forty years, and Rio's people are the warmest people of them all...he said (NBC guy).

I had tears in my eyes for the last sixteen days, and again today. Now, I'm not the only one...that's what Rio games do to people, that's what the games are all about...people from all corners of the world gathering @ one of the greatest places on Earth...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and sharing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Now we can prepare to think about beginning to anticipate the run up to the South Korean 2018 Winter Olympics.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TBone

Major Contributor
I watch near zero tv pre-7pm, but like every Oly, Rio was 16 days of awesome unscripted(hopefully) entertainment. From Micheal Phelps domination to Syrian refugee Yusra Mardini 41st place finish (she swam 3 hours dragging/saving 18 migrants in a leaky dingy over the Aegean sea). May never see another athlete like Usain Bolt again, took me longer to write this post than it took him (114 seconds) to capture 9 gold medals over 3 Olympics.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I've watched the entire closing ceremony, I've heard many commentaries by sport broadcasters from all around, some have been everywhere in the world as broadcasters for the summer Olympic games since the last forty years, and Rio's people are the warmest people of them all...he said (NBC guy).

I had tears in my eyes for the last sixteen days, and again today. Now, I'm not the only one...that's what Rio games do to people, that's what the games are all about...people from all corners of the world gathering @ one of the greatest places on Earth...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and sharing.

Yea and Abbey D'Agostino makes a mean power amp too:D

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
________

Thinking four years ahead when still fresh from Rio. I have so much more stuff still to see from Rio...I need a lifetime to explore all Brazil region alone.
Stay tuned, Rio ain't done yet.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oh I see it now. The mongolian disengaged waiting for time to run out. And was giggling and dancing to boot (in Bob's first video). He lost a point for that making the match even but the coaches protesting cost them another point and he went from losing to winning.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
"This video is not available." ↑

It's ok; you got it...it's about the scoring system. After reviewing a video section, the judges awarded the young Mongolian three points all together, so now he was leading 7 to 6 with only 18 seconds left. Then he started celebrating too early by dancing in front of his opponent, then his two coaches started celebrating too by jumping in the ring and carrying their protege on their shoulders as the winner, with still 5 seconds left (I believe). Then the judges awarded a point for his opponent, as a penalty against the Mongolian coaches.
And in wrestling if the score is equal @ the end (here it was 7-7), the who who had the last point (even that penalty point for celebrating a little too premeditated), is the overall win win guy.

It's unfortunate because the young Mongolian was simply emotionally happy and didn't mean to end up like this. And he was a good sportsman as he congratulated his opponent. But he sure was confused by his two coach's reactions.

It's life, and it's not easy to react all the time with the right reactions. If I was the master judge; I would have given a medal Bronze to both young wrestlers.
But I guess they don't have that stuff written...yet, in their Olympic books.

The rules are something clear, but here the circumstance was very unusual and both kids are good kids, but their coaches, from both wrestlers, need to learn the art of control and diplomacy. I think. So it was a coach moment, and the kids pay the price for their coach's behavior, even the winner because his coach too was embarrassing before; him too jumped in the ring few times and was told to step out by the referee. And points are deducted from the athletes when their coach are disobeying the rules.
It's tricky too because sometimes a contest will change it, and other times it will work in the other team's favor. And no contest @ all means no fair point on occasions were the judges missed a simply little move that could have make all the difference.

Yes, both kids deserve a medal, but all the coaches from the two sides should have been banned and send back home in the next plane.
If I was a judge, that's my way. :) I hope many learned something here; that more important than winning a medal is our true self, how we behave.
The two young wrestlers were ok...perhaps the young Mongolian was celebrating too quick...but the rules in the time I am no expert, and dancing is not wrong when you fight. It's his two coaches who should have wait few more seconds (5) before jumping too quickly...then the Mongolian would have win.

So, all in all they were stripping in protest of their own uncontrollable behavior. And that, is the true ironic reality. They have only themselves to blame, and they have a huge debt towards their own young athlete.

This is high drama, this stuff happened in Rio. A good opportunity to reflect on human nature...we're all good people @ the games. ...Almost all.

P.S. I know that I am not 100% correct on what I just described...and I bet all the judges don't always agree among themselves. The entire episode, for all the time that it lasted, had everyone uncertain of the fairest outcome. Not a single person, judge, referee, control officers, Olympic cops, ...no one had the ultimate control on something like that. ...And justifiably so...in my book.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom