• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer to go with JBL Studio 130A's

Fred H

Forum Donor
Locally, someone is asking $80 for a used Pioneer SW-8MK2. From some searching, this seemed like a fair buy for a decent subwoofer. I could place it on the floor next to the back of my desk. According to my limited understanding of @sweetchaos's subwoofer spreadsheet the subwoofer's output at all frequencies is more than adequate for my use. But I've never used a subwoofer.

The 130A's are on raised, tilted stands on the back corners of my 48" x 24" desk, which is against a wall. So they are 30-40" from my ears => near field. I'm driving them with a Loxjie A30 rarely turned much above 25, resulting in 65-75 db. The room is about 150 sq ft, and is otherwise a spare bedroom. 99% of the system's use is music, fed by JRiver on my PC with @amirm's recommended filters applied.

The Loxjie A30 has a subwoofer out so I plan to use it. But my setup doesn't allow for matched high/low pass filters. @amirm's review showed the base decline to begin at 70Hz, is this what I should initially set the low-pass to? I have a UMIK-1 and REW, but little experience in their use. I've read about the moving mike approach and it appeals to me. Advice? Comments?

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
at that price , if it isn't old (like 5+ yrs) that's a decent deal... for a better long term deal the jbl 550p is a great idea...when on sale at least...

OP
F

Fred H

Forum Donor
Thank you for the confirmation on the "decent deal" with a caveat I hadn't thought of.

While the 550p is currently on sale for $190 it's a bit larger with minimum dimension 15", not fitting in the available space (which I hadn't mentioned, for which I apologize). I believe that the 550p is worth the difference but there isn't a future alternative use for us, so it's probably not worth the hastle it would cause..

tw 2022

yeah,don't start rearranging the room to suite the hobby, unless that becomes the goal....most decent subs start at about $200 (the 550p) and higher, buying used is a good idea, but those plate amps have a lifespan (mostly about 5-15 yrs depending on use)...if it doesn't work out there's always another deal coming down the road ....btw yamaha subs generally are very decent for music and not horrible for games/movies, it's a good choice at the price point...an 80hz xover might work well ... look into dsp for a serious upgrade down the road...

tw 2022

The SW-8MK2 is 9 years old, so I passed.
smart move , and a nice gesture by the owner to be forthcoming, sounds like a guy you could do a deal with some other time on another item...you might have gotten a few yrs out of it , but it was risky... check out emotiva 8 inch subs ...they might have one that fits the need...

Top Bottom