• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer for music (only)

Subir

Hi ! Just joined this forum. I’m Subir Vyas writing in from India. I wanted to ask for a subwoofer recommendation that lends itself better to music than movies. In other words no ramble and all those very low frequency types that go along with movies. Just tight, clean fast bass. 8” and no larger prefer.

I heard REL might be up this street but wanted to check your opinion on the above in general.

Many thanks!

Penelinfi

I guess you're going to be after a sub with low group delay or phase changes especially around the crossover region.
Also depends on the music you like as certain music definitely has a good amount of deep bass in the 20s, though you can get by with 30Hz easily for most.

REL does ok for that, though perhaps for the money there are other options as generally REL seems to fetch a slight premium .

OP
S

Subir

Hi thanks much. Could you suggest any that would do the above. I listen to jazz and classic rock mostly, also blues occasionally.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Subir! Have you thought about how much you want to spend on the sub? That may well affect the recommendations.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fast isn't a real property. 8" is limiting but if you don't want true subwoofer performance, perhaps a pro type sub would work well for you. I've not seen a Rel I'd consider priced well for its capabilities except maybe the 1510, but that's one of the few Rels with some real third party testing. India has limited choices and likely only from major speaker brands for the most part, but what is available to you locally within your budget would help.

nerdemoji

REL has successfully marketed themselves as the "musical" subwoofer. They mostly have subpar performance for the money.

Many on ASR can advocate for Rythmik Subs because they have good performance and even better value.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
REL has successfully marketed themselves as the "musical" subwoofer. They mostly have subpar performance for the money.

Many on ASR can advocate for Rythmik Subs because they have good performance and even better value.
There are many others than Rythmik....and servo isn't as particularly important as marketed either.

ps let alone any particular claim Rel has on "musical" which is pretty damn silly.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Could be up to $1000 or so
I'd take a look at the Kali Audio WS-6.2 (₹ 55342/$660): Review

It has significantly higher output capability than the similarly priced REL Tzero MKIII:
Screenshot 2023-12-24 041205.png
Source

Last edited:
OP
S

Subir

Fast isn't a real property. 8" is limiting but if you don't want true subwoofer performance, perhaps a pro type sub would work well for you. I've not seen a Rel I'd consider priced well for its capabilities except maybe the 1510, but that's one of the few Rels with some real third party testing. India has limited choices and likely only from major speaker brands for the most part, but what is available to you locally within your budget would help.
Okay Fast was probably not the right word…. what I meant was the low frequency doesnty’hang around” in there with all those unending rumblings etc, and does a more in & out job. You know like “dhappak” as opposed to hmmmm dhrrrr rrrr

D

Deleted member 21219

Okay Fast was probably not the right word…. what I meant was the low frequency doesnty’hang around” in there with all those unending rumblings etc, and does a more in & out job. You know like “dhappak” as opposed to hmmmm dhrrrr rrrr

No well-designed sub will do that. If you have had problems of that nature, you may benefit from investigating the acoustics properties of your room.

Jim

DonR

Major Contributor
I would take a sub that has lower distortion over one with lower extension. None of the genres of music you listed has any content below 40Hz.

nerdemoji

if there is a problem that sounds like this, then you either have a horribly made subwoofer, or more likely, a room resonance, which are pretty much unavoidable without multiple subs or dsp

OP
S

Subir

if there is a problem that sounds like this, then you either have a horribly made subwoofer, or more likely, a room resonance, which are pretty much unavoidable without multiple subs or dsp
Ya let me work on the placement

benanders

@Subir if you are using the sub for music that bottoms out where many floor-standers extend (down to), it would be relevant to know what type of mains speaker you use/plan to use (or did I miss that detail?).

As a point of anecdotal ref, my current subs must extend up to ~100 Hz and while some music I listen to does dip quite low (20’s?), I’m not sure I’d notice much, if it were missing (mine are spec’ed down to 18 Hz).
When I rotate the same subs into the HT system they do fine with new action movies. It’s an all-concrete room, as was the room before it, so I don’t have comparative “experience” in a less solid/bass-reflective dwelling.
Just to point out some of the functional questions you might consider, if you haven’t already.

OP
S

Subir

@Subir if you are using the sub for music that bottoms out where many floor-standers extend (down to), it would be relevant to know what type of mains speaker you use/plan to use (or did I miss that detail?).

As a point of anecdotal ref, my current subs must extend up to ~100 Hz and while some music I listen to does dip quite low (20’s?), I’m not sure I’d notice much, if it were missing (mine are spec’ed down to 18 Hz).
When I rotate the same subs into the HT system they do fine with new action movies. It’s an all-concrete room, as was the room before it, so I don’t have comparative “experience” in a less solid/bass-reflective dwelling.
Just to point out some of the functional questions you might consider, if you haven’t already.
Hi, thanks much. I currently use Ascendo D7-C as my main speakers. I’m afraid I don’t understand or am into the technicalities much but I’ve been consistently told to keep Phase in Off mode, the frequency below the 11 o clock position and adjust the volume to suit. It hasn’t really worked. So I’m guessing it’s the position and something to do with the room. I’m currently looking in to that. To me it seems like lowering or increasing the frequency or volume levels has the same effect.
My main aim is to rid the sound coming off the sub from rumble.
Many thanks once again.

benanders

Hi, thanks much. I currently use Ascendo D7-C as my main speakers. I’m afraid I don’t understand or am into the technicalities much but I’ve been consistently told to keep Phase in Off mode, the frequency below the 11 o clock position and adjust the volume to suit. It hasn’t really worked. So I’m guessing it’s the position and something to do with the room. I’m currently looking in to that. To me it seems like lowering or increasing the frequency or volume levels has the same effect.
My main aim is to rid the sound coming off the sub from rumble.
Many thanks once again.

What you describe could depend on position, and could also depend on composition of the room (floor/ceiling/walls). It can also change based on whether the sub is on the floor or elevated.
Not sure what keeping the phase “off” means, usually it is switchable or adjustable between 0°-180°; if “off” = 0°, then I understand. Phase should depend on location of the sub relative to where you sit and perhaps the other speakers.

Rumble can be a product of music being played, volume of the sub, design of the sub, location of the sub (in corner or on open wall?) etc. Changing frequency and volume should give audible difference in music with enough bass.

Like @Chrispy said - 8” will limit your options of models and before further action, consider @Jim Taylor recommendation to further investigate your room’s acoustics.

Edit: deleted redundant term

OP
S

Subir

Thanks again. It is mostly the room. So I need to look into the placement and areas around it to optimise.

Top Bottom