• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer buzz/hum

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

For years, I've run Rythmik subs in my media room. My current one is about a year old, a 12-inch with its own amp. It's connected with XLR. The amp itself buzzes like a 60hz thing, even if I test it out with a cheater plug. Thus, merely powering it up causes a buzz. It is low in level, yes, but audible from my chair. Trying out different outlets on the same and different circuits causes the same result.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is the sound coming from the speaker cone or from the Amp?

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Going thru the same thing with an almost new JLA f112v2; JLA sent me a DC blocker and it did not help. My sub buzzes from any outlet, no audio inputs. My local JLA dealer (Paradyme, Sacramento) will not do any warranty repairs, go figure, so I'm hoping JLA will pay for shipping back to Florida otherwise I've got a 100lb paperweight.
Sound emanates from within, the cone is motionless. I can hear from both front and back. Apparently there can be issues with the windings on JLA subs. The f110s are the latest to be revised and they all include the DC blocker inside.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going thru the same thing with an almost new JLA f112v2; JLA sent me a DC blocker and it did not help. My sub buzzes from any outlet, no audio inputs. My local JLA dealer (Paradyme, Sacramento) will not do any warranty repairs, go figure, so I'm hoping JLA will pay for shipping back to Florida otherwise I've got a 100lb paperweight.
Sound emanates from within, the cone is motionless. I can hear from both front and back. Apparently there can be issues with the windings on JLA subs. The f110s are the latest to be revised and they all include the DC blocker inside.
I had a buzz from the transformers of by JL F113v2s and JL sent me a DC blocker that solved it. Excellent customer service, would be good if all manufactures built it in their products.

detlev24

I had a buzz from the transformers of by JL F113v2s and JL sent me a DC blocker that solved it. Excellent customer service, would be good if all manufactures built it in their products.
Interesting. Would you be able to provide some details about the DC blocker they sent you?

This might be of interest for many people, as it seems to be a rather widespread phenomenon [on 110-120V~ and 220-240V~].

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Interesting. Would you be able to provide some details about the DC blocker they sent you?

This might be of interest for many people, as it seems to be a rather widespread phenomenon [on 110-120V~ and 220-240V~].
I received the same DC blocker as Wayne did; unfortunately it did not work for me. There is another product from Emotiva that is reported to work well, and if it doesn't help you can return it, only having to pay return shipping.

https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/cmx-2

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp. Also, it may only be happening when a kitchen appliance is active, like the dishwasher! That's in the adjoining room.
Use a DC blocker like one linked above

Top Bottom