• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Struggling with noise and I think I'm out of my depth...

reza

Hey everyone,

I recently switched from an rpi 4 to a NUC 8 i5 acting as Roon Core, Roon endpoint, Spotify Connect, and Shairport receiver. All through Equalizer APO.

I had no issues with the pi setup, the NUC however, produces audible crackle, noise, hum, hiss, wheer, jeer, gurrr... This happens on both Khadas TB and RME BFP (non FS). I have tried different USB ports, different USB cables, a powered USB hub, different RCA cables, different inputs on the amp, different power outlets, and obviously different DACs. My amp doesn't have balanced inputs so that's not an option.

The confusing thing is that listening to the DAC signal with headphones there's no noise, but when fed into the amp, there's lots of noise. If the issue is with the NUC then why is there no noise in headphone out, and if it is with the amp, then why is the rpi not affected?

Any suggestions on what may be going on here is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jcadduono

RPi is prob not grounded to ac outlet, so doesn't form a ground loop over the RCA.
I'm guessing the NUC has a 3 prong IEC cable and the amp has one as well, so ground loop causes bad noise.
I don't know enough about this stuff to help solve it though sorry.
Maybe a 2 prong cheater plug on the amp power cable?
Ran into this trying to amp the rcas off my Denon AVR using my A90 :C caved and bought a different amp with a ground lift toggle switch.
Now I just always use balanced cables in all my audio equipment so I never have to deal with the ground noises.

Last edited:
OP
R

reza

Yeah after reading more about ground loops I figured that must be the reason. Indeed the pi has a two prong plug and the NUC a three pronged one.
I swapped the NUC power brick with another one and that made things better, not perfectly, but a good bit.
Short of getting an amp and a DAC with balanced interconnections, I’m not sure what can be done.

Top Bottom