• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming?

tubess1988

Please educate me on "streaming" I have a USB cable from my desktop to the outboard DAC, into my stereo I have Tidal music server. what am I missing if anything? Thanks for the reply.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please educate me on "streaming" I have a USB cable from my desktop to the outboard DAC, into my stereo I have Tidal music server. what am I missing if anything? Thanks for the reply.
What is the unit you call “stereo?”

Wicky

assuming your 'desktop' is providing you the music to your stereo, that is 'streaming'. Not sure the formal definition but probably any digital source that delivers digitally stored music to a player that can transport this to a DAC

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You are all set.

radix

Major Contributor
I think of streaming as network-delivered digital audio. If you're playing local files from a computer to a DAC, I think of that as just digital audio, like playing a CD.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there something not working? Your setup is computer > Dac>preamp>amp>speakers and you're running Tidal on the computer?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
tubed preamp into Class D mono blocks, Panel speakers.
Why not connect the DAC directly to your monoblocks? If you however like the tubes deterioration of the otherwise nicely clean signal you can add the distortion digitally on your PC.

OP
T

tubess1988

Is there something not working? Your setup is computer > Dac>preamp>amp>speakers and you're running Tidal on the computer?
No it works great, I just keep hearing about Streaming and wondered what advantages there may be over what I have now.

OP
T

tubess1988

Why not connect the DAC directly to your monoblocks? If you however like the tubes deterioration of the otherwise nicely clean signal you can add the distortion digitally on your P
Had both SS preamps and tube, to my ear this is the best setup I have ever had. But thanks for the reply, and I might try a direct to DAC.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it works great, I just keep hearing about Streaming and wondered what advantages there may be over what I have now.
Tidal is streaming so are Spotify, Apple Music, Qobuz, etc. You already have streaming and using it :)

Top Bottom