• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming Service Accessibility?

ReluctantGT

An audiophile friend of mine is visually impaired, using a screen reader (e.g. JAWS) to interact with computers. He's interested in getting into lossless streaming, but the services I've used (Tidal, Qobuz) were very difficult to use with a screen reader. The keyboard shortcut coverage for both services is quite good, actually, but the interfaces are horrible with a screen reader. Tidal is merely extremely confusing, while Qobuz (my preferred service) is an utter disaster.

We did try both the web and desktop apps (which are just the web apps wrapped in Electron or something). Same experience.

I recently ran across this great blog series from a developer at Deezer, which has me hopeful. I'm also hopeful someone here has had a good, or at least tolerable, experience with audio streaming for visually impaired users. My guess is the Big Guys probably have decent accessibility, due to their higher profile, but I haven't tried them.

Top Bottom