• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming and Audio degradation.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been noticing that streaming 16/44.1khz FLACs over Airplay is changing the sound a bit. Airplay works by decoding whatever audio that comes through and encoding it to 16/44.1KHz ALAC.

While the process should theoritically be lossless but i still hear differences in sound, I cannot tell whether it’s a good difference or a bad difference because I didn’t produce any of these tracks.

now using mconnect to stream to a DLNA renderer (LPCM not MP3) should also be lossless in theory, I didn’t do a double blind test yet but it’s a clear (albeit subjective for now) difference from Airplay. I think the sound stage is altered and/or volume level. But i’m not sure I haven’t tested it out.

Recently i purchased Roon because of its blackfriday deal and i have to say it sounds really good. Perhaps better than the two lossless methods above.

What does science has to say about this. Is re-encoding (even to a lossless format) inherently lossy?

tw99

FLAC to ALAC at the same bit depth and rate is totally transparent.

tw99

Do you mean a CD rip or converting FLAC to ALAC and vise versa? There is a big difference.

I meant exactly what I wrote.

It's also true if the FLAC or ALAC file contains a CD ripped at 44.1/16, you can convert them backwards and forwards as many times as you like with no effect at all.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
FLAC/ALAC is basically like zip, lossless compression and everything can be restored when decompressing. So there should be no loss when converting back and forth.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FLAC/ALAC is basically like zip, lossless compression and everything can be restored when decompressing. So there should be no loss when converting back and forth.

This is not about ALAC, i did a double blind test and i could tell everytime when Airplay was used. It does has an influence i’m sure.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
This is not about ALAC, i did a double blind test and i could tell everytime when Airplay was used. It does has an influence i’m sure.

OK, so it's not clear from your first post (apologies if I'm missing anything) what you are comparing to. FLAC over Airplay sounds different than what?

tuga

Major Contributor
Playing the track directly (on the streamer).

Could it be that the processing (FLAC to ALAC conversion) is causing audible "artefacts"?

Have you tried streaming ALAC and thus bypass the FLAC to ALAC conversion?
If so, how does that compare to streaming FLAC?

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be that the processing (FLAC to ALAC conversion) is causing audible "artefacts"?

Have you tried streaming ALAC and thus bypass the FLAC to ALAC conversion?
If so, how does that compare to streaming FLAC?

i have a few CD rips to ALAC, but for those I don’t have the FLAC version so i’m not sure if it’s a faithful comparison. I can use Tidal for FLAC over Airplay but i cannot eliminate stuff like different masters and stuff.

I remember there was a website that you can download the same tracks in different formats. Maybe i can try that?

tuga

Major Contributor
i have a few CD rips to ALAC, but for those I don’t have the FLAC version so i’m not sure if it’s a faithful comparison. I can use Tidal for FLAC over Airplay but i cannot eliminate stuff like different masters and stuff.

I remember there was a website that you can download the same tracks in different formats. Maybe i can try that?

You can download a Qobuz purchased track in AIFF, ALAC, FLAC and WAVE.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What does science has to say about this. Is re-encoding (even to a lossless format) inherently lossy?

Airplay is not inherently lossy for 16/44.1kHz media, BUT the protocol does not actually sync the sending and receiving clocks, so the protocol does have to perform receiver-side resampling to handle clock drift, in cases where there is substantial clock drift. This can be a source of differences in sound between different Airplay implementations.

You can confirm this by looking at Apple's actual reference source code for the protocol, which has been leaked and you can find on various sketchy websites if you hunt around.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Airplay is not inherently lossy for 16/44.1kHz media, BUT the protocol does not actually sync the sending and receiving clocks, so the protocol does have to perform receiver-side resampling to handle clock drift, in cases where there is substantial clock drift. This can be a source of differences in sound between different Airplay implementations.

You can confirm this by looking at Apple's actual reference source code for the protocol, which has been leaked and you can find on various sketchy websites if you hunt around.

Thank you for the detailed response.

how is it in comparison to DLNA? Or Roon transport?

ElNino

Thank you for the detailed response.

DLNA and Roon transport are pull-based protocols. The receiver pulls as much as it needs to buffer and play, on its own time, so there's no need to synchronize clocks or resample.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DLNA and Roon transport are pull-based protocols. The receiver pulls as much as it needs, on its own time, so there's no need to resample.

is there a reason (other than the impressive feature pack that Roon has) for Roon transport to be better than DLNA or is it just my bias?

ElNino

is there a reason (other than the impressive feature pack that Roon has) for Roon transport to be better than DLNA or is it just my bias?

Roon has more features, like multi-room support.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon have information about how they handle it at the following link.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/airplay-setup

There are issues* with airplay that may cause audible issues, it also may work great, given the price of things like a Pi there is no reason to use it with Roon, or many other players as your main way of playing music, it's a nice option to have in a system though.

tuga

Major Contributor
So i need a 16/44.1 Khz track. Any recommendations?

A track you know well, perhaps something with a wide dynamic and frequency range.

Top Bottom