• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer vs BT

gallionetech

Hey all,

I was wondering if there is a downside to using Bluetooth instead of a Streamer?

Also if i did go with a streamer, any issue with a Raspberry Pi plugged into USB of a Topping D90SE?

Thanks in advance!

AudiOhm

A streamer gets the music, Bluetooth transmits it to your wireless device, not sure what you want to know...

Ohms

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

A streamer gets the music, Bluetooth transmits it to your wireless device, not sure what you want to know...

Ohms
Basically if there is any downside of using BT, will there be a performance loss, etc.

AudiOhm

You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

You cannot compare Streaming and Bluetooth...

Ohms

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

You cannot compare Streaming and Bluetooth...

Ohms
@AudiOhm Im new to the audio world and other than the fact that Bt is transmitting to the device what is the difference? I'm genuinely unsure and want to make the right choice for my setup. Thank you

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Bluetooth is a "wire replacement" technology. This means you can have a mouse without a wire (alternative approaches are available as well); headphones without wires; music players and phones without wires; portable speakers without wires. Historically, Bluetooth is not as good as a wire in terms of sound quality, but recently newer codecs (a codec converts the sound to a signal which can pass over Bluetooth) such as Sony's LDAC have emerged which are much better. Bluetooth has got absolutely nothing to do with "streaming".

A streamer plays music into your HiFi from a "file". The file may be on your laptop, a NAS or via a service such as Spotify, Amazon Music, Deezer etc.

Most high quality streamer installations don't use Bluetooth. For example, I use a streamer plugged into my DAC which gets files from my NAS via my private IP installation. There is no Bluetooth involved.

You can use Bluetooth to replace a wire in a streamer installation. Historically, this has resulted in poorer sound quality, but newer codecs exist which make it a viable approach.

OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Makes total sense. I setup a Volumio RBP setup and I see the other benefits such as built in EQ, etc.

Thank you for your detailed answer @MaxwellsEq!

Top Bottom