• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer / DAC combo with PEQ and Loudness

maver1ck

Hi,
I spend a lot of time searching the forum and I didn't find the answer.

Is there any Streamer / DAC combo on the market that has:
- Parametric EQ (preferable with at least 5 slots and separate L/R configuration)
- RME ADI-2 like automatic Loudness ?
- 12V trigger
- measures well by the means of this forum

Generally speaking I'm looking for RME ADI-2 with built-in streamer :)

Theoretically I can use WiiM Pro + RME ADI-2 combo via optical link, but main problem is volume control vs loudness.
WiiM volume control should be disabled in such configuration and then I'm loosing ability to control volume from mobile phone.
The new Eversolo A-8 has PEQ and Loudness, but I didn't find information if there is separation in channel and if loudness is automatically switched.
(EDIT: based on information from their forum it's not)

Any hints ?

Last edited:

flowolf

Volumio can do this, yes!
Pair it with a well measuring USB-DAC or DAC HAT of your choice!
A 12V trigger needs a bit of DIY, but it can be done!
Sometimes Volumio has its quirks, but overall, I am happy with it!

OP
M

maver1ck

I found old RPi 1B so I can test both Volumio and Moode.

OP
M

maver1ck

Careful with the 1's, in terms of performance and compatibility with the newest OS.
Moode works, but its Spotify support (and overall experience) doesn't feel right for me.

Next - volumio.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm no RPi master. But an RPi 4 will work w/o a HAT for a DAC. The on board DAC is serviceable.

Nutul

Moode works, but its Spotify support (and overall experience) doesn't feel right for me.

Next - volumio.
You'll get the same, more or less. Starting with a Pi3 you'll be OK.

OP
M

maver1ck

You'll get the same, more or less. Starting with a Pi3 you'll be OK.
I need to buy one. RPi 1B was available right now :)

And it's not enough for Volumio. So experiments postponed to Thursday.

Last edited:

Nutul

I need to buy one. RPi 1B was available right now :)

And it's not enough for Volumio. So experiments postponed to Thursday.
As a side note:
moOde does not yet support the Pi5 (work is underway, expected sometime in 2024Q1) so you better start with a Pi4 (and the 5's are not yet so easy to get, anyway...).
About Volumio I cannot tell whether it already fully supports Pi5 or not, you may want to check on their site.

Nutul

Thanks Nutul,
I ordered Pi4 with some accessories.
If it can help I am running moOde on a Pi4 with local official 7'' display and attached 1TB NVMe in a USB enclosure. About 1K2 albums ripped as whole-flac + CUE (for a total of roughly equivalent 15K tracks). I have it connected to an Eversolo Z8 DAC => active subwoofer => active monitors, all via XLR outputs.

Not an issue since almost 4 years of constant, 4h/day playback.
moOde development is extremely active about bug-fixing, and always compliant about new features/improvements; the forum is also of great help, and if it can reassure you, I am myself a dev/contributor there... ;-)

Roon endpoint, LMS client, Spotify connect, UpNP client, AirPlay, bi-di Bluetooth... I believe are there in both of them.

Volumio might be better (more options?) when it comes to streaming platforms integration, though I cannot speak about their support / features.
moOde is FOSS, and with great care about user privacy (no ads / information share / analytics and whatnot) if that is of any interest.

Kind regards, Al.

OP
M

maver1ck

This could be a candidate for you: Link
  • 2 x 180 watts at 4 Ω / 2 x 110 watts at 8 Ω @ 0.1 %THD
0,1% doesn't look good. 60dB of dynamic range ?

From specs it looks like it has Hypex UcD180 inside

Not great:

Last edited:

OldTimer

Hi,
I spend a lot of time searching the forum and I didn't find the answer.

Is there any Streamer / DAC combo on the market that has:
- Parametric EQ (preferable with at least 5 slots and separate L/R configuration)
- RME ADI-2 like automatic Loudness ?
- 12V trigger
- measures well by the means of this forum

Generally speaking I'm looking for RME ADI-2 with built-in streamer :)

Theoretically I can use WiiM Pro + RME ADI-2 combo via optical link, but main problem is volume control vs loudness.
WiiM volume control should be disabled in such configuration and then I'm loosing ability to control volume from mobile phone.
The new Eversolo A-8 has PEQ and Loudness, but I didn't find information if there is separation in channel and if loudness is automatically switched.
(EDIT: based on information from their forum it's not)

Any hints ?
I never know there’s such automatic loudness. What kind of animal is it?

OP
M

maver1ck

OK.
I did some tests of multiple RPi solutions.
I used RPi 4B + official 7" touchscreen.

Volumio - https://volumio.com/get-started/
Pros:
+ UI looks super nice
+ Configuration is straighforward
+ Lots of plugins
Cons:
- Lack of stability - I tested it Spotify Connect and controlling Spotify from Volumio was working about 50% of time
- Intrusive advertising - half of the options just show "Buy Premium" banner

rAudio - https://github.com/rern/rAudio
This is a fork of RuneAudio
Pros:
+ Fully open-source

Cons:
- not so nice UI
- lack of basics controls for Spotify (like previous / next)
- it's a project of one person, bus factor = 1

MoodeAudio - https://moodeaudio.org/
Pros:
+ more popular than rAudio
+ more developers involved
Cons:
- No UI for Spotify Connect

I have a feeling that every RPi solution is less stable than WiiM.

From above I'm planning to do more play with Volumio, especially Now Playing plugin that may be more stable and doesn't have so many ads.

Nutul

MoodeAudio - https://moodeaudio.org/

Cons:
- No UI for Spotify Connect
FWIW I am currently working on giving moOde's Spotify-connect a UI, it won't be interactive (you still control playback on your phone, while the streaming is native on the Pi from Spotify), but it will be able to display all the metadata of the track + album art... cannot say when it will be finished and integrated (as of now it is a POC) but it will... ;-)

Reactions: MCH
OP
M

maver1ck

FWIW I am currently working on giving moOde's Spotify-connect a UI, it won't be interactive (you still control playback on your phone, while the streaming is native on the Pi from Spotify), but it will be able to display all the metadata of the track + album art... cannot say when it will be finished and integrated (as of now it is a POC) but it will... ;-)
I think I found your thread today on moode audio forum.
I didn't understand why there is such a problem with this integration. Architecture of moode is a reason ?

Top Bottom