• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo sound leaking to center channel.

OP
A

alitomr1979

Worth looking at the possibility of ground loops - especially involving the AVR and Crown amps - possibly also including one or more of your sources.

What is the cable interconnect length between ARV and Crown amp?
There is definitely a ground loop. I can hear its noise coming also from the center at times. Nothing from the mains or other speakers. It is between the AVR and the Crown Amp. They sre both connected to the same 12 output poser strip.

OP
A

alitomr1979

My guess is also that the AVR is doing something to actively send sound to the center channel when you don't want it to.

Crosstalk is when you have electrical interference between the channels... but it is typically -60dB or lower. So it would be hard to hear true crosstalk in a center channel while the mains are playing...

The distortion while playing Netflix is also a clue. If it were something wrong with the componentry, it would happen all the time. It sounds like processing is configured wrong either at the source, in the AVR, or both...?

I am using the Fire Cube in order to take advantage of the Dolby Atmos soundtrack in newer films and series, as my receiver doesn’t have eARC, meaning I can’t stream Dolby atmos in the native app on the TV.

What settings would you suggest I should check in the Fire Cube. There are not many…

OP
A

alitomr1979

Worth looking at the possibility of ground loops - especially involving the AVR and Crown amps - possibly also including one or more of your sources.

What is the cable interconnect length between ARV and Crown amp?

The cable is a low quality, 4 feet RCA.
Yeah, this is plausible. There would be signal going through the circuitry of both the AVR and power amp for the sound to reach the center spk. This is somewhat unlikely. Grounding problems more plausible.

--It would be fun to see if the leak to center gets worse or better with

A) Adjusting gain up and down on preamp with disconnected power amp or

B) Adjusting gain up and down on preamp with power amp on but discinnected speakers or

C) Adjusting gain up and down with all connected as usual.
Questions:
A) disconnected Crown, right? Just making sure because I have two power amps in the setup.

B) OK.

C) in the preamp or in the crown amp powering the center?

I will run these tests tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support.

As I said in a prvious post, there is a ground loop. It gets quite annoying when ny PC is turned on. And I can hear the noise coming from
The center channel when music is low and in stereo (not coming from the center).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The cable is a low quality, 4 feet RCA.

Questions:
A) disconnected Crown, right? Just making sure because I have two power amps in the setup.

B) OK.

C) in the preamp or in the crown amp powering the center?

I will run these tests tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support.

As I said in a prvious post, there is a ground loop. It gets quite annoying when ny PC is turned on. And I can hear the noise coming from
The center channel when music is low and in stereo (not coming from the center).
If there is a ground loop picking up PC noise, it is possible it will also couple L/R signals - most likely from the output of the L/R power amp. Do any of the AVR/crown amp cables (interconnect, mains etc) pass close by to a L/R speaker, or alongside L/R speaker cable? Or are the devices themselves in close proximity to LR speaker/cables or LR Power amp? If the Crown power amp is stacked above/below the LR Power amp, it is also feasible this would allow coupling into the ground loop..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's what Amir measures in his crosstalk measurements

Yes, why I asked a few posts later if that's what was being referred to. There's also the type of bleeding of one input/source into another....which is the kind that I've found more an issue than just channel crosstalk.

Top Bottom