• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Amp & Speaker Suggestions

Hemanth_sonu

Folks,

Need some suggestions for stereo setup. Its really confusing whether to really go for Class AB / Class D amplifiers. My current amp is a Class AB from last 5 years is (Burson Audio Timekeeper) and I prefer Class AB, but now that Class D has very positive review’s wanted to know your thoughts.

Can you please guide me the best combo (Amp & Speakers) from the below shortlisted one's. This will be an one time investment for rest of my life , hence it should be easily repairable and less expensive if anything happens. My listening room size is 12*15 (180sq Feet) and listening position from speaker will be around 8 to9 feet.

Speakers

Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Focal Chora 826
Sonus Faber Sonetto I (Bookshelf)
KEF Q950
KEF Q750
DALI OBERON 9
FYNE AUDIO - F502

Power Amp – Class AB

Denafrips Hyperion
Rotel RB 1552 MkII
Marantz MM7025

Power Amp – Class D

Apollon Audio Purifi Mini - 1ET400A
Rouge Audio Design - Studio N-7 (Hypex Nc500)
Boxem Audio - Arthur 4215/E2

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without information about room size and listening distance it's impossible to give any decent advice. However I strongly advice to forget about amplifier classes, better about amplifiers at all (those are a solved problem) and look for active speakers of companies with well known history of making long lasting products of highest sound quality (Neumann, Genelec). Measurements here at ASR have shown again and again that those offer the best quality/price ratio, especially compared to boutique highend products.

OP
H

Hemanth_sonu

Without information about room size and listening distance it's impossible to give any decent advice. However I strongly advice to forget about amplifier classes, better about amplifiers at all (those are a solved problem) and look for active speakers of companies with well known history of making long lasting products of highest sound quality (Neumann, Genelec). Measurements here at ASR have shown again and again that those offer the best quality/price ratio, especially compared to boutique highend products.
Thank you for response, My listening room size is 12*15 (180sq Feet) and listening position from speaker will be around 8to9 feet. I was not inclined to Powered Speakers till now. Let me think about that.

drplinker

I highly recommend going with good powered speaker. Cabs/Drivers/Amps (components) are matched in various dimensions by the manufacturer, and many times DSP/PEQ comes built in. Overall, 10's of fewer components in your room, less chances of any sort of sub-optimal hookup, cabling, racks, cable hangers, power strips, vibration dampeners etc. Nothing to upgrade !! And if you can stow away DAC + RasberryPi somewhere, then all you have in room are speakers. Just enjoy the music, no more typical audiophile concerns to bother you.

Make sure you go with XLR for signal. Only if I could get back all the money sunk so far on my system, I would go with 2x Genelec 8361A, Topping D90Balanced, RPi.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's hard to advise people about speakers (and personally I haven't heard any of those on your list) because they all sound different and people have different preferences and different rooms. And, only you know what is that you don't like about your current speakers.

If there's any possibility of listening to any of those before you buy, that would be great. Even better if you can try them at home. (Hing end dealers used to loan you a pair or two to audition at home, but it seems like everything is online now.)

What's wrong with your current amplifier? What do you "prefer" about class A/B?

If you don't need more power, and you're not getting audible noise (or other defects) the only advantage to "upgrading" to class-D is improved energy efficiency, and your amp probably isn't consuming that much power anyway, especially if you aren't running it at full-power many hours a day.

OP
H

Hemanth_sonu

I highly recommend going with good powered speaker. Cabs/Drivers/Amps (components) are matched in various dimensions by the manufacturer, and many times DSP/PEQ comes built in. Overall, 10's of fewer components in your room, less chances of any sort of sub-optimal hookup, cabling, racks, cable hangers, power strips, vibration dampeners etc. Nothing to upgrade !! And if you can stow away DAC + RasberryPi somewhere, then all you have in room are speakers. Just enjoy the music, no more typical audiophile concerns to bother you.

Make sure you go with XLR for signal. Only if I could get back all the money sunk so far on my system, I would go with 2x Genelec 8361A, Topping D90Balanced, RPi.
So far i haven't tried Powered speaker or listened to them (Studio Monitor Grade) other than Bose Sound bar which i'm using for watching movies. Sure will check on Genelec speakers.

OP
H

Hemanth_sonu

It's hard to advise people about speakers (and personally I haven't heard any of those on your list) because they all sound different and people have different preferences and different rooms. And, only you know what is that you don't like about your current speakers.
I agree on your thoughts, its very difficult to suggest on the speakers side unless its heard. My current speakers are less powered Sony SS-CS3 and been using for long time, hence i want to upgrade.
If there's any possibility of listening to any of those before you buy, that would be great. Even better if you can try them at home. (Hing end dealers used to loan you a pair or two to audition at home, but it seems like everything is online now.)
As its online nowadays i dont get a chance to listen test them. However one of my friend had DALI OBERON 9 and i liked it pretty much.
What's wrong with your current amplifier? What do you "prefer" about class A/B?

If you don't need more power, and you're not getting audible noise (or other defects) the only advantage to "upgrading" to class-D is improved energy efficiency, and your amp probably isn't consuming that much power anyway, especially if you aren't running it at full-power many hours a day.
My current amp (Timekeeper) had some issues (heating and cracking sound) so had to sell it off last month. For time being i bought a Topping MX5 and listening thru that.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I would grab Yamaha RN803D while still in stores. Costs as much as a weekend in a mall with family. Easy to resell one day if not satisfied.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can you please guide me the best combo
Probably not, I am curious on what could make you think, any one here can help you, better than your self in deciding what is most likely to fulfil your quest.
We don’t know your taste, we cannot hear what you hear, we do not know your room/space, your listening habits, etc....
You are the expert on what you want, we are not. So, why on earth, would you listen to what I, or anyone else here, have to say?
If you spend some time learning and reading here, and there is a lot to read and learn here, you might make a better decision. Asking total strangers about some random choice of gear, is possibly the worst way to get where you want to go.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not, I am curious on what could make you think, any one here can help you, better than your self in deciding what is most likely to fulfil your quest.
We don’t know your taste, we cannot hear what you hear, we do not know your room/space, your listening habits, etc....
You are the expert on what you want, we are not. So, why on earth, would you listen to what I, or anyone else here, have to say?
If you spend some time learning and reading here, and there is a lot to read and learn here, you might make a better decision. Asking total strangers about some random choice of gear, is possibly the worst way to get where you want to go.
The OP asked, "Can you please guide me the best combo (Amp & Speakers) from the below shortlisted one's. This will be an one time investment for rest of my life , hence it should be easily repairable and less expensive if anything happens."

The OP can be assisted with the selection of a amp and can be advised a little on reliability and expense. The selection of speakers is usually a personal thing but we could still assist with some details. There is still the facet of parametric equalization that could be used on this system. Lots of stuff we can help out with.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already own preamp - Freya+
In this case try to listen to (without knowing your budget):
- Neumann KH310, potentially with a sub
- Neumann KH420
- Genelec 8050/8350/8351, potentially with a sub
- Genelec 8361
- Genelec S360 with sub

OP
H