• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

squaring a rectangle

OP
R

rokr

You can really test the square baffle really simple and fast: just add some cardboard boxes to the sides of the kit in the right size and listen if it sounds. If the guy is happy with that, make the square box like your blue drawing.
I can actually clamp wood squares to the sides and get an even better simulation of the blue drawing. I wanted to understand the technical implications of doing such a change.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to understand the technical implications of doing such a change.
There are tools for that:

Is a dedicated one, and is fairly simple to use. More extensive speaker simulation tools can also do it, but require much more time and effort to grasp.

OP
R

rokr

View attachment 300113

These are close to the golden ratio. JBL Classic L100 :) the depth isn’t very important for ascetic’s generally. Your kit is also just 2cm short. Close enoughi

View attachment 300113

These are close to the golden ratio. JBL Classic L100 :) the depth isn’t very important for ascetic’s generally. Your kit is also just 2cm short. Close enough.
I really like the look of these speakers, but I was looking to do minimal work while maintaining as much of the original sound characters, and you're suggesting a whole new design, Also, with a width and depth which are about the same, I don't think these jbl's use the golden ratio.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
About that golden ratio, it actually means that all floor-standers are completely out of proportion and a good ratio speaker will be ~ 35cm, 17cm, 25cm. let's say the baffle width is 35cm, it means that either the height or the depth should be 17cm which both are a big (small) problem. I don't remember seeing such a speaker.

True. But then again, if you make the shape of the enclosure void optimal in proportions, that's just one of many things that affects the backward radiated energy of the drivers. The shape mostly just makes other countermeasures less crucial, assuming they are even needed in the first place.

In the case of being restricted to a box, the best shape for both speaker internals and listening rooms would be a golden trapagon. But that's just not very practical, and the penalty you get from making the shape "subpar" is hardly ever substantial enough to make it worth the effort.

Besides, backwave coloration is probably a big part of what gives a lot of speakers their "personality".

fineMen

Major Contributor
Thanks, I will give it a try.
You'll most probably see that with humble proportions, in bass is is not so much the individual width and height, but the surface area. As it comes to treble, consider to keep the smallest distance to the according edge the same. This distance determines under (un)certain circumstances the tweeter level for a broader bandwith, which may alter the sound a bit.
As others already explained, the internal volume should be roughly (!) the same, and internal proportions shall not alter the response. They would only do so in case of evil resonances, which you anyway avoid, don't you?

Top Bottom