• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

special tags for subjective comments?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about something like...
[subjective]To my ears DAC x sounded smoother, richer and simply more musical and enjoyable than DAC y. I don't know how, and I didn't want to admit it, but this is my listening experience.[/subjective]

Placing such text into a different colo(u)r and font style than regular.

To my ears DAC x sounded smoother, richer and simply more musical and enjoyable than DAC y. I don't know how, and I didn't want to admit it, but this is my listening experience.

I guess that the user would have to actively put their comment inside these tags, and they probably won't be used to doing that.
It might help to make the other members aware that the poster understands the trouble with unprovable comments. Avoiding the barrage of "Level matched, blind test, blah blah ...." that follows.

Yeah, no?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How about something like...
[subjective]To my ears DAC x sounded smoother, richer and simply more musical and enjoyable than DAC y. I don't know how, and I didn't want to admit it, but this is my listening experience.[/subjective]

If someone comes here talking like that, it would be a favor to help them out. There are too many places where that's the local language...one of the reasons this site exists is to help educate those who don't know better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good etiquette is normally for someone new to a forum to spend a little while reading it and understanding the general perspective and character of the forum. You have some who come here obviously to stir things up and disagree from time to time.

You have from time to time someone post mentioning their post is from a mostly subjective viewpoint. There is such a thread going right now. That is fine, it is someone who knows the general ethos of ASR, and thinks they still have something interesting to share without trying to challenge the efficacy of the forum's values.

I myself will fairly often make comments that come from uncontrolled listening opinions. It would be a pain to remember to tag them as such. It also wouldn't prevent someone from tagging their comments and those comments are intended as nothing more than disruptive disagreement. So I think I fail to see how tagging helps.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Also, even if most folks took the time and always remembered to tag their subjective impressions, it would in my view create a misleading implication that anything not tagged as such was subjective - but one of the main uses of an objective-oriented site like this is to sort out the objective from the subjective, the supportive from the unsupportable, the reasonable-sounding-but-not-actually-true from the reasonable-sounding-and-backed-by-evidence.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Opinion:

I often use the term "Opinion" when I don't have anything to back up something I might say.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like what quantum physicist Dr David Deutsch says on this-all explanations start with a conjecture. Whether the explanation is good or not depends on whether it can be varied. Good explanations are hard to vary.

Top Bottom