• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker into a tube - what happens

David James

I went for a hearing test and the audiology clinic used a kind of “in ear monitor” with, from what I could tell, transducers coupled to a tube, similar to silicon tubing, and then to foam plugs on the other end. I’ve attached an image of something that looks like it could be the same. I always thought a long tube was a bad thing but the sound of the technician’s voice was uncannily clear.

This has made me curious about what happens when a transducer is coupled directly to a tube like this. My experience at the clinic suggests that the transmission is linear but I don’t know any of the science. The complexity of transmission line enclosures made me assume things for very complicated in such a situation.

Attachments

• 67B757CA-E648-4C36-B929-D21391106576.png
    67B757CA-E648-4C36-B929-D21391106576.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 61

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not seen anything like that. However, I notice the name Etymotic on them. So those guys make some very good IEMs. I have a pair and they are darned clear, but I hate how deep they have to go. They did originally do business for what I suppose would be called audiometric gear.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A tube is only bad if it's not properly terminated at one end to eliminate pipe resonances.

OP
D

David James

A tube is only bad if it's not properly terminated at one end to eliminate pipe resonances.
In this case they terminate in my ear canal.

Could you elaborate on what “properly terminated” means?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
D

David James

i think I was unclear about what I want to know.

What happens to the sound if the transducer is coupled tightly to a long tube, as it is in device in the picture?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case they terminate in my ear canal.

Could you elaborate on what “properly terminated” means?
In this case it must be terminated at the sending end in its characteristic acoustic impedance.

OP
D

David James

Top Bottom