• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker for large room

OP
T

TomP

Are they similar to the
JOLIDA Black Ice by Jolida - Foz SS-X Sound Stage Expander
Someone had told about it.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
My room is similar. I am very happy with the Focal Aria 948s I got a couple months back or so.

Dirac is a brand of digital room correction. Is uses measurements of test signals from a microphone in your room to equalize the frequency response of your speakers, including whatever your room is doing to the sound.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What exactly do the Dirac, MiniDSP software/processors do? Not familiar with those either.
Well if you choose to have main speakers with limited bass extension and then subs for the lower frequencies , then they need to be properly integrated, stop the main speakers from playing lower frequencies , integrate the sub set the crossover frequency, delay ,order etc, this is best done with a small processor such as MiniDSP.
Personally I find full-range loudspeakers 20-20kHz to be a lot less hassle.
Keith

Helicopter

Major Contributor
You could use an inexpensive MiniDSP unit without Dirac just to cross the subs or add parametric i.e., based on parameters you enter yourself, equalization, or you could pay more for something with Dirac.

OP
T

TomP

I would probably lean towards simplicity.
I have a system for vinyl that I am very happy with for serious listening.
For the one I am setting up I want good sound but it will probably be used more for a more relaxed setting, not serious listening.
Though I do want good sound

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Focal Aria 948s are good like this, with no equalization, room correction or subs. I am sure the Revels are too.

steve59

Major Contributor
While the f208 can go deep many consider them light sounding in fact I listened to them against the f32 that had 2-6 1/2” woofers instead of the 8” woofers in the 208 and while I preferred the f208 tonal balance overall I was more impressed with the older f32’s bass. 2 speakers without subs in a room that size...golden ear maybe? Not as smooth but plenty of bass. I still vote for the dsp 5200 used.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would probably lean towards simplicity.
I have a system for vinyl that I am very happy with for serious listening.
For the one I am setting up I want good sound but it will probably be used more for a more relaxed setting, not serious listening.
Though I do want good sound

Will the system be primarily for listening to from one particular position? Or are looking for something that will fill the room with sound, so to speak? This is something you should factor into the speaker decision, I think.

OP
T

TomP

I think filling the room is probably more important. There will be times I would like to listen in one position but I think filling the room will be needed much more often.

OP
T

TomP

Will the system be primarily for listening to from one particular position? Or are looking for something that will fill the room with sound, so to speak? This is something you should factor into the speaker decision, I think.
If im looking at filling the room with sound would you say the the F208 with subs would be a good way to go?
You can find pretty good deals on the F208's which leaves money for the subs.
Any suggestion on good subs?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If im looking at filling the room with sound would you say the the F208 with subs would be a good way to go?
You can find pretty good deals on the F208's which leaves money for the subs.
Any suggestion on good subs?

Sorry, I missed your earlier reply. Hmm, I think it does make sense to go for wide dispersion speakers if there's going to be a number of "listening positions". The F208s fit the bill in that respect. And yes, I would definitely also go for subs :) F208 + subs vs. F228Be would be no contest IMO (if that is how you're looking at it?).

The only slight reservation I'm having here is as to the question whether there isn't some kind of omni or near-omni option that would do the job even better... Nothing springs to mind, but I have to admit I've never paid a lot of attention to omni speakers, so I'm not abreast of what's available. Might be something to look into, though...

OP
T

TomP

any suggestions on subs that would work. Seeing there are a lot of sizes etc. A bit out of my knowledge base.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
any suggestions on subs that would work. Seeing there are a lot of sizes etc. A bit out of my knowledge base.
Perhaps a Denon X3700 which would elminate the need for the separate DAC. You will send a very clean signal to the NC500 amp(a bit cleaner than the amp AFAIK).

The Denon will offer excellent bass management for dual subs and excellent eq on both subs and speakers. Worth ditching the standalone DAC IMO due to simplicity of everything you need in one package, and good objective performance. Otherwise you end up with a complicated hodge podge solution of various components with limited functionality. Almost seems silly to get a 9 channel AVR for a 2.2 channel setup, but the availability of a good basic high fidelity setup(bass management, sub out, eq) is so limited, and even when you find it, it ends up being a lot more expensive and possibly lower objective performance, and nowhere near all the convenient bells and whistles.

For subs, I would probably look at a pair of Rythmik E15HP2 or PSA S1512. Rythmik is available in piano gloss, PSA is either satin black texture finish or wood veneer.

Another huge benefit of the Denon IMO will be DEQ which adjusts low bass and upper treble to match lack of sensitivity of human hearing in those areas at lower volumes. The result is much more pleasing sound at low volumes.

OP
T

TomP

All sounds good but I already have the Nord NC500 and the ADI. Hate to go down the slippery slope of replacing everything

Top Bottom