• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker for large room

TomP

I have a room that is 25ft x 21ft x 12ft high ceiling. A lot of glass on the 25 ft side.
Thinking about the Revel f226be but just saw a pair of the f228be selling for $7000, new.
Using a Nord acoustics NC500 amp with a RME ADI-2FS Dac.
Any thoughts if these speakers will fit the bill or any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Not able to audition the Revels where I live so a bit hesitant but I know they are well regarded.
Thanks

steve59

Major Contributor
will you be using subs? Stereo or multi channel?

OP
T

TomP

I would prefer no sub. Not a big fan.
Stereo

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers are definitely suitable for your room and electronics. And they are excellent speakers. Note that the differences between F228Be and F208 appear to be quite negligible, so if you can find the F208 for significantly less, I'd say take it.

You may also want to look at KEF R11, which is selling at about $5500/pair I believe.

Or you could consider slightly smaller/less expensive speakers and a pair of c. $1k each subwoofers. This would certainly give you the potential for smoother and more balanced bass in-room, and lower distortion.

OP
T

TomP

What are you losing in the f208 vs f228be?

steve59

Major Contributor
I listened to the f228be and f208 different rooms, different components. If you,re after the highest possible fidelity the be has a higher ceiling than the 208, but in a large room with lots of reflective surfaces i.m not even confident the latest revels will ,make you happy. Dynaudio speakers are sweet spot speakers, they could offer higher fidelity in your chair at the cost of sounding dull everywhere else in the room. For entertaining in that room the f208 with a couple hundred wpc, say parasound a21. you're set.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you losing in the f208 vs f228be?

Objectively, there are minor differences between them that are on the cusp of potential audibility (I base this on measurements of various speakers in the Revel Performa and Performa Be lines, since all speakers in each line share the same mid and tweeter/waveguide).

These differences include:
  • F208 has slightly lower distortion in the midrange and treble.
  • F228Be has slightly wider directivity in the 9kHz-11kHz range.
  • F228Be tweeter compresses less at high SPLs.
  • There are slight but very minor differences in the frequency responses, but neither is clearly better or worse, and for the most part the degree they differ is so small that it's unlikely to subjectively matter.
Based on measurements, I really don't see these speakers as different enough to warrant choosing one over the other. I'm not remotely confident that, set up the same way in the same room, I could pick the difference between them in a blind test. The F228Be appears to be the same speaker using slightly different driver materials. I don't think there are objective grounds for claiming the result is better or worse - it's just (very slightly) different.

The F228Be is significantly prettier IMHO :)

ScofieldKid

Your amps and dac are probably small/light enough that you could take them to a store, and actually demo your gear at the dealer. Just a thought.

OP
T

TomP

I thought about that. Would love to listen to the Revels but no dealer where I am at.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How far are you intending to sit away from the speakers?
Keith

OP
T

TomP

8 to 10 ft. Would like good sound to fill room when entertaining as well

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Our larger room is almost exactly those dimensions ( Edwardian terrace ) I sit three metres away from Kiis, 8Cs, GGNTKT M1’s’, Hedd Main Towers they all are more than ample in terms of loudness, I would advise you go for properly full-range though because bass is enjoyable.
Keith

OP
T

TomP

The ones I have heard have been too boomy.
Maybe I have never heard a good set up with subs

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Rarely I found were subs properly integrated that is changing now with Dirac, MiniDSP software/processors .
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ones I have heard have been too boomy.
Maybe I have never heard a good set up with subs

They take some work to set up, but if done correctly the outcome should be the opposite: tighter, cleaner bass that is smoother across a wider listening area.

Given that bass is important to you, and with the budget you have, I would definitely be including a pair of subs in the package :)

OP
T

TomP

So what do you look for in speakers if using a sub?
I have no experience with subs. Will my Nord NC500 drive both sub and speakers?

OP
T

TomP

What exactly do the Dirac, MiniDSP software/processors do? Not familiar with those either.

Top Bottom