• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cable advice

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's good form to wave your hands about abstruse math, though ;)
Greek letters come in really handy . The less commonly used, the better. :)

... and it is only a matter of time before the boutiques' white papers embrace Dr. Seuss' "On Beyond Zebra". Mark my words. :cool:

Ninjastar

I'm looking to wire my LS50 Meta speakers. I am looking at a distance of about 3m required.
What gauge and length would be suggested?
also what about silver coated copper? thanks!
I use these and recommend them:

Same company that is behind World's Best Cables that also sells through Amazon. They are similar to Blue Jeans Cable where they just use studio grade copper wiring and connectors, but they are less expensive and I find the cable easier to work with. Blue Jeans uses Belden for speaker cable, which I find somewhat stiff.

I prefer cables with banana plugs that have been professionally soldered as opposed to trying to do that myself or use screw-down connectors, not because I think it sounds better but just to avoid any problems in the future.

babar

Forum Donor
bi-wire or not if there is an option?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess if I only had tiny wires, I might bi-wire.

/Trolling

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I guess if I only had tiny wires, I might bi-wire.

/Trolling
For some reason, this troll comment is reminding me of an image I saw earlier today on the Polk forums...

pz7sfrbedzlr.jpeg

;)

This is an old thread but I feel for posterity I need to chime in.

Do NOT waste your money on fancy cables. A copper conductor is a copper conductor. Wrapping it in gold will not affect current in the conductor. The only advantage of gold connectors is the aversion to corrosion, which is only a concern with installed systems. A simple disconnect and reconnect habit will remove any built up of carbon.

Smaller gauge (larger diameter) wire reduces current loss because of thermal conductivity. That’s important if you are running a 10’ wire into a 2-8ohm load… except no it isn’t. Current is extremely low and the load is high. The thermal loss happens in the voice coil. You can use lamp cord on your mains and subs and the loss would be negligible.

babar

Forum Donor
I’m not extremely knowledge on this from a science perspective. However I do have ears which are very discerning.
I recently replaced the copper cables on my bowers and Wilkins 802D’s with silver sleeved copper. The difference was transformatively for the better.
While I appreciate that there lies wisdom in comparing ofcc to lamp wiring from a conductivity perspective, I will follow my ears.
I’m only sharing this so that others try and see the difference before using lamp chords.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
This is an old thread but I feel for posterity I need to chime in.

Do NOT waste your money on fancy cables. A copper conductor is a copper conductor. Wrapping it in gold will not affect current in the conductor. The only advantage of gold connectors is the aversion to corrosion, which is only a concern with installed systems. A simple disconnect and reconnect habit will remove any built up of carbon.

Smaller gauge (larger diameter) wire reduces current loss because of thermal conductivity. That’s important if you are running a 10’ wire into a 2-8ohm load… except no it isn’t. Current is extremely low and the load is high. The thermal loss happens in the voice coil. You can use lamp cord on your mains and subs and the loss would be negligible.

I agree about not wasting money on cables. However, amp manufacturers go to great lengths to reduce the wire resistance from the output devices to the speaker outputs. They do this to get higher damping factor specs. Using a sufficiently large gauge conductor will help with maintaining that damping factor. Ten gauge is usually good enough for the typical short runs. You can go larger, but it gets to the point where the weight of the conductor puts stress on the connector......

I’m not extremely knowledge on this from a science perspective. However I do have ears which are very discerning.
I recently replaced the copper cables on my bowers and Wilkins 802D’s with silver sleeved copper. The difference was transformatively for the better.
While I appreciate that there lies wisdom in comparing ofcc to lamp wiring from a conductivity perspective, I will follow my ears.
I’m only sharing this so that others try and see the difference before using lamp chords.
That is due to one of two things:
1. Psychosomatic response.
2. Corrosion in the connectors.

It’s number 1.
Corrosion would simply cause static as you cleaned the connection.

You suffered from confirmation bias. You wanted to hear a difference, and so you did.

I agree about not wasting money on cables. However, amp manufacturers go to great lengths to reduce the wire resistance from the output devices to the speaker outputs.
Have you looked at the wires inside those speakers? From the crossover to the speaker terminals. Basic wire. 16-18 gauge .

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Have you looked at the wires inside those speakers? From the crossover to the speaker terminals. Basic wire. 16-18 gauge .

Yes, I am well aware of the size conductors in the speaker cabinets. Those wires are short compared to the typical 8 foot run. Inefficient speakers will need the larger gauge for woofer control. If you get the 10-12 gauge in the first place, you are done with regards to most any speaker unless you have long cable runs. Buy the right cable once and you are done.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree about not wasting money on cables. However, amp manufacturers go to great lengths to reduce the wire resistance from the output devices to the speaker outputs. They do this to get higher damping factor specs. Using a sufficiently large gauge conductor will help with maintaining that damping factor. Ten gauge is usually good enough for the typical short runs. You can go larger, but it gets to the point where the weight of the conductor puts stress on the connector......
10 Guage is massive overkill for almost all domestic applications.

I'm currently using 12 - even that is much bigger than I need. (It'd be good for a 90ft run with my speakers)

This article has a handy table - but more importantly does the analysis.

Top Bottom