• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound absorption panel coefficients

slaweks

Forum Donor
Hi,
Over last 2 years I installed quite a few (a few dozens) of 4" sound absorption panels from ATS Acoustics. Most of them of "Bass trap" category with the absorption coefficient advertised as in below image:
ats_bass.png

and others normal, absorbing less lower frequencies.

ats.png

So, first of all, I do not understand how the absorption coefficient can be higher than 1.
Secondly, these absorption coefficient, especially from the "full-range" variety, seem to be well higher than allowed by the 1/4 of wavelength rule.

But they seem to be working, as advertised. This is one of the earliest measurements in my 36*17' room:

ts60_early.png

and this is one the recent ones:

ts60_recent.png

They seem to be reducing reverberations in broad range, up to 60Hz, perhaps.
So, how can this "Physics laws defying" behavior be explained? :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Testing errors or relative comparisons. I have seen a couple of explanations over the years. A quick search turned up this one:

However, you may come across materials with NRC ratings higher than 1.0, which can be confusing. This doesn’t mean that the material can absorb more sound than that arriving at the material; instead, it’s an issue with the testing standards used to determine the NRC rating. The perimeter and thickness of the material being tested will cause an “edge effect” (diffraction), which can result in errors in the calculation used to arrive at the NRC rating, yielding results above 1.0.

Wikipedia says something similar:
Materials can achieve NRC values greater than 1.00. This is a shortcoming of the test procedure and a limitation of how acousticians define a square unit of absorption, and not a characteristic of the material itself.

OP
S

slaweks

Forum Donor
Testing errors or relative comparisons. I have seen a couple of explanations over the years. A quick search turned up this one:

Wikipedia says something similar:

I would easily accept say 1.02, but 2.04?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I would easily accept say 1.02, but 2.04?
You would think the people doing the testing would know that a result of 2 is wrong. Makes me think there stupid or liars, either way steer clear.

OP
S

slaweks

Forum Donor
You would think the people doing the testing would know that a result of 2 is wrong. Makes me think there stupid or liars, either way steer clear.
Sure. But despite of this, the panels seem to be working.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, how can this "Physics laws defying" behavior be explained?
I don't get how this defies physics? Even panels that absorb very little of a frequency will still absorb some if you shove enough of them into a room. Absorption isn't a binary yes/no effect.

That doesn't make it a good way to solve problems at low frequencies.

OP
S

slaweks

Forum Donor
I don't get how this defies physics? Even panels that absorb very little of a frequency will still absorb some if you shove enough of them into a room. Absorption isn't a binary yes/no effect.

Some people believe that absorber needs to be 1/4 of the wavelength to absorb it, clearly it is not true.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people believe that absorber needs to be 1/4 of the wavelength to absorb it, clearly it is not true.
Well it's not just thickness of the absorber that matters, it's also distance from the room boundary. And it's obviously a gradient of effect, they don't simply turn off when the wavelength reaches a threshold.

So, sure, the idea there's some hard rule is not true, that's correct. I don't think any quality source actually claims there is such a hard rule, though. Toole's book certainly says nothing of the sort.

OP
S

slaweks

Forum Donor

I was not after just low frequencies, I wanted drop in reverberations across the full rage, and these 4" panels delivered, of course less in <100Hz range.

ozzy9832001

I've used ATS panels before. Much better company to deal with than some of the others, but they lack selection.

That being said, their 4" 2'x4' are great, but their mounting system is a bit wonky, so I used my own.

Top Bottom