• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think a single item on the list is true. Or close to true. Or even in the same galaxy as anything true.

Becky got paid to write this, maybe she is on to something.........."When not writing, she dances, spins in the air, drinks coffee, watches football or surfs in Cornwall with her other half – a football writer whose talent knows no bounds"

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I firstly was thinking of an April fools joke, but no: https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/vortex-hifi-power-cap-diamant-plus-1534.html

"The Vortex HiFi Power Cap Sigma is the latest upgrade to Vortex HiFi information. Based on the medical principle of information, this anti-interference technology reduces biologically disruptive potential vortices. In addition, the latest Sigma Antistress Information of Vortex Sigma Informing reduces the interference to music listening from mains sockets located in the listening room quite significantly."

You can buy these magic also at many household stores where they are called mains socket protectors: 50cts a piece!
Wait a second, I'd swear I red Wilhelm Reich's scams based on similar narratives...

DonR

Major Contributor
I don't think a single item on the list is true. Or close to true. Or even in the same galaxy as anything true.
#3 is quite possible and unwittingly she touches on something that maybe she shouldn't given who she writes for namely that, when sighted, the listener can be influenced by what he sees rather than what he is hearing.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Touching on responsible "journalism", I came across this little gem from a few years ago...
That '9 tips' article is not 'journalism'... just your regular 'eyeballs attractivism'!
With 100+ replies, it seems to be working and we're probably helping...

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I read this listicle shortly after it was published and came away from it feeling like I had just pissed 11 minutes of my life down the drain.

mansr

Major Contributor
Don't know why they stopped at 9.
GPT-3 can help:

10. Playing CDs at random
11. Playing CDs from the middle
12. The Centre Channel
13. SACD / DVD-A
14. MP3s (wtf???)
15. Seeing a film in a cinema
16. Drums on TV (how?)
17. Speakers at eye level (why?)
18. Paying silly money for speakers that are in furniture
19. Keeping the volume down (or you will be cold-called by the music industry)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Using wibbly wobbley timey wimey
Oh Lord, we have that coming later this month ;) (I checked out of that show some years ago, but I'll still watch it as it's been part of me so long).

bquimby

The comments are very interesting. The review itself is garbage, of course.

I'm not an "audiophile". I like listening to music, and I write, play and mix my music in my spare time, but my day job is IT - I was a UNIX engineer for over a decade, a firewall and network engineer for nearly as long, and now I am technical owner of the trading platform of a major European bank. My point is that I understand ethernet and TCP/IP networks pretty well. I arrived at this forum via Mr. Majidimehr's YT channel, after I came across his video on so-called "audiophile" network switches and was intrigued: what could they actually do, I wondered? I couldn't see how they would change anything...

I read the review. It's fascinating. The sales chap from the company, a certain Mr. Bonotto, describes a fairly typical fabrication approach for switch ports as if it's some kind of unique technical wizardry. He also says "Apart from the connection between the power input and the PCB, there are no wires; everything else is surface mount" Well...yeah. Open up pretty much any cheap mid-size network switch, you'd see the same, it's the commonest way of doing it. He keeps talking about "noise", but never explains exactly how the noise gets from the switch to the DAC...somehow, it just does. Of course, it can't be part of the data packets at the transport layer, because there's no mechanism by which it could get in there. The only place it could be introduced, as far as I can see, is in the electrical connections, but, IIRC, the IEEE 802.3 standard includes proper shielding/grounding as part of the Ethernet standard; and I also would expect any streaming device to be properly isolated internally to prevent such propagation. If it's not, it wouldn't matter what kind of switch you had.

What I find so peculiar is that people criticising the review on technical grounds are being told by other commenters that they are simply wrong, but no explanation - even a summary one - of how they are wrong is forthcoming. They're just told that if they haven't heard the result of the device being in the datastream, they can't comment. Are we just expected to accept their word for the improvements without any clear explanation as to why they exist?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I find so peculiar is that people criticising the review on technical grounds are being told by other commenters that they are simply wrong, but no explanation - even a summary one - of how they are wrong is forthcoming. They're just told that if they haven't heard the result of the device being in the datastream, they can't comment. Are we just expected to accept their word for the improvements without any clear explanation as to why they exist?
It's common that audiophiles do just that. How on Earth can you explain goofy things like cable risers otherwise?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...What I find so peculiar is that people criticising the review on technical grounds are being told by other commenters that they are simply wrong,...
Please forgive me if I may have forgotten any examples of your blanket assertion; as there has been 98 pages of discussions in this thread...:facepalm:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I'm not an "audiophile". I like listening to music, and I write, play and mix my music in my spare time, but my day job is IT - I was a UNIX engineer for over a decade, a firewall and network engineer for nearly as long, and now I am technical owner of the trading platform of a major European bank. My point is that I understand ethernet and TCP/IP networks pretty well. I arrived at this forum via Mr. Majidimehr's YT channel, after I came across his video on so-called "audiophile" network switches and was intrigued: what could they actually do, I wondered? I couldn't see how they would change anything...

I read the review. It's fascinating. The sales chap from the company, a certain Mr. Bonotto, describes a fairly typical fabrication approach for switch ports as if it's some kind of unique technical wizardry. He also says "Apart from the connection between the power input and the PCB, there are no wires; everything else is surface mount" Well...yeah. Open up pretty much any cheap mid-size network switch, you'd see the same, it's the commonest way of doing it. He keeps talking about "noise", but never explains exactly how the noise gets from the switch to the DAC...somehow, it just does. Of course, it can't be part of the data packets at the transport layer, because there's no mechanism by which it could get in there. The only place it could be introduced, as far as I can see, is in the electrical connections, but, IIRC, the IEEE 802.3 standard includes proper shielding/grounding as part of the Ethernet standard; and I also would expect any streaming device to be properly isolated internally to prevent such propagation. If it's not, it wouldn't matter what kind of switch you had.

Welcome to audiophilia.

There is as far as I'm aware, one measurement posted on the stereo.net.au forum showed noise from a switch or something entering a Linn DAC/streamer, but my unqualified opinion is that the noise measured would not be audilble. It does suggest that noise could get into a badly designed DAC, or that if you have incredibly high noise it could cause an issue. How many of us run 60m lengths of cable in our homes though? I also had a bad cheapo switch go wrong on me and the result was a lot of noise. But that's way, way beyond what gets reported in the review.

The "you have to listen to it" argument is basic subjectivism, and assumes that "magic happens" in these components, or that the manufacturer is doing something that "can't be measured".

I went down the Ethernet rabbit hole a little way, blind tested an Audioquest cable against, well, a Cat 3 cable that was dropping multiple packets! - and found no difference. If a bad cable works, what do we learn from that?

People who search for "differences" between devices like this will all too often "hear" something. Often, lots of people who listen to the same change will actually "hear" similar "differences" - well, because while all audiophiles want to be special, most people react in a similar way. That influences things so that what subjective reviewers "hear" is what a lot of other people doing the sighted test will hear. They don't want to accept this, so they react angrily if it is pointed out to them.

I have little problem with people hearing differences that aren't there, in that the sound waves in the room are identical. We'll all do it sometimes no matter what we understand.
I have a BIG problem when companies take advantage of this - even if they are "hearing" the same things when they test themselves- charging huge sums of money for devices like this one, when they don't change the sound waves in the room. If they can prove that the claim they make for improvement is objectively true, by measurement or blind test, that's different. But they never do.

The really odd thing in all of this is that, even forewarned, if you go and audition this device, with all your knowledge, you too may hear a difference that you have to resort to fancy prose to describe. The reason is that your brain is interpreting the sound waves differently. If you blind test, that difference (as opposed to a genuine change of sound) goes away.

But we are told to "trust our ears", but at the same time the form of testing that subjectivists do, doesn't give "our ears" a chance. It's a problem, and an expensive one to suffer from.

noiseangel

NORDOST QPOINT SYNCHRONIZER

"…the QPOINT locks down the map of the stage and increases the grip, adding body mass and boosting low frequency response. The sound is more pure and becomes easier to read, as if the signal has been cleaned up and extraneous stuff removed."

– Marshall Nack, Positive Feedback

NORDOST QPOINT HARMONISERS AND QSOURCE POWER SUPPLY
"The music sounds more ‘right’ and musicians sound more like they are playing together...you tend to notice an increased sense of dynamic freedom to the sound...”

– Alan Sircom, Hi-Fi+

NORDOST QRT QPOINT AND QRT QSOURCE — STRANGE BUT TRUE

"With the introduction of the QPOINTS, the orchestra really snapped into place. It was like a photo that went from blurry to sharp in the blink of an eye. It was a sheer pleasure to hear . . . What a revelation!”

– Jacob Heilbrunn, The Absolute Sound

NORDOST QPOINT – RESONANCE SYNCHRONIZER

"These are not “additions”, but as important elements of the audio system as any other ones…I have got used to it and to what it does to the sound of my player so fast and so strongly that I experienced physical pain when I was putting the device back into the box . . .”

– Wojciech Pacuta, High Fidelity

noiseangel

Poor old Wojciech Pacuta from High Fidelity must have the spine of a SQUID if he had physical pain putting it back in the box. It makes me wonder how did he ever get it out of the box?

One can also use a few QPoint devices under one product – the effects will add up.

Do you add them in series or parallel? I think the only thing adding up here is the depth of BS you are standing in. Oh and the depletion in the thickness of your wallet.

Last edited:

noiseangel

This will probably get deleted but I am going to say it anyway. My mate blew his inheritance of over a million bucks on drugs and hookers. He's dead now. Still it's hard to see who got the better value for their money, the guy who buys the QPoint or my mate. RIP Sid.

olbobcat

Poor old Wojciech Pacuta from High Fidelity must have the spine of a SQUID if he had physical pain putting it back in the box. It makes me wonder how did he ever get it out of the box?

Do you add them in series or parallel? I think the only thing adding up here is the depth of BS you are standing in. Oh and the depletion in the thickness of your wallet.
I went to a Nordost demo at a HiFi shop open house. First, they started with the power cables all the way up to $5000. The rep. kept pointing out how much difference it made. Then came these little pads that you sync up the vibrations so every piece of equipment was in sync. Can you hear it? I went over and hung out with the Kef rep. He had the R11s going.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This resonance synchroniser may be having an effect of some sort on something.

Same old same old, though. They hear a lot but prove nothing. Where are the measurements? Where is the blind test?

Of course these are subjective reviewers doing their job. It's not for them to prove a damn thing.

Nordost, though, should be held to provide proof of any claims they make. I bet the word "may" is in the marketing literature a lot for this one.

noiseangel

I went to a Nordost demo at a HiFi shop open house. First, they started with the power cables all the way up to $5000. The rep. kept pointing out how much difference it made. Then came these little pads that you sync up the vibrations so every piece of equipment was in sync. Can you hear it? I went over and hung out with the Kef rep. He had the R11s going.
He pulled the same crap at RMAF 2018 with USB cables. I was watching him change the audio settings on his laptop everytime he changed a cable. He got caught out by a couple of us.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Been there, done that. Nordost rep at a show changed up the range of USB cables and each one "sounded better". The problem? The cheap one had been in place for other company demos all day and didn't sound obviously bad except during the Nordost guy's own demo when it suddenly did. It was hardly subtle, either.

Apparently what they do is play a sample, change the cable, play a different file of the same music, and so on. Let's not bring on a lawsuit, but just suggest that if not only the cable has changed, it might not be a fair demo in some weird way?

Edit - corrected spelling of suddenly

Last edited:
Top Bottom