• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

egellings

Major Contributor
It's in the ear and the imagination of the beholder, I guess. If you think a certain cable improves the sound, then for you, it does--for a while.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's in the ear and the imagination of the beholder, I guess. If you think a certain cable improves the sound, then for you, it does--for a while.
I have to imagine that, in time, a more expensive cable is necessary to get your fix. Right back to the drug dealer analogy...

sofrep811

Wow. That Serinus dude is seriously wack (and that's being nice).
JHL throws around these flowery words like he's in Creative Writing 101 and thinks he'd be a great Audio Reviewer. He's no doubt one of the many clowns who infest Hoffman Forums.

egellings

Major Contributor
A toot of coke wears off, too, and you soon need another one, just a pinch more than the last one.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A toot of coke wears off, too, and you soon need another one, just a pinch more than the last one.
Yet at least coke does something for your money :rolleyes:

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Snort a line of Coke and you're a new man. And that new man wants another line of Coke."

Derek Taylor, PR man for the Beatles.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am forced to nominate the "DAC502" as a potential snake oil.
Strictly based on the statements of the [nameless] company's full-page advertisement in an audio publication.
The ad starts with:
"The DAC that will change your life.
"Experience a breathtaking leap forward in DAC technology."
"DAC502 is that rare audio component- ... huge impact to your listening experience... effortlessly delivering a wealth of breathtaking detail, stunning dynamics and 3D soundstaging... result is a startling sense of realism - immersing you in magic of the original performance as never before."

[after 3 more ranting paragraphs:] "DAC502 is a remarkable achievement, rewarding you with all the emotion and engagement of a live performance."
Their website is also just as fishy sounding:
202220_WeissEngg.jpg
AGAIN?:mad:
I don't mean [no] disrespect to the company but my bs-meters are pegged!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I am forced to nominate the "DAC502" as a potential snake oil.

I don't mean [no] disrespect to the company but my bs-meters are pegged!
Yup, it is most likely a cheap $10 DAC made in China and then resold as the highest end DAC available. So, you take run of the mill products and package them as cutting edge products. The state of the art in audio for todays world is pretty much that. Very sad. It does allow Amir to find the true stand outs in engineering and value so the ASR members don't get swindled.

Gregss

Hello,

Would tend to agree with you, that is on well designed equipment. Interconnects - if the output impedance is quite low (ten or less ohms, less is better) and the receiving units input impedance is high enough (IE: 20Kohms), then a reasonably designed cable (not high resistance, high inductance or high capacitance) should make quite little to no difference that could possibly be audible.
As there are some really poor equipment designs out there that people buy, I'm afraid that is not a given that cables don't make a difference.

IMHO,
Greg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Or rather, if a cable is designed in a stupid enough way it makes a difference to sound, but not the one it claims to do.

No veils lifted or microplankton multiplying. Just a pointless mangling of the frequency response.

egellings

Major Contributor
Cable design can affect sound quality, but the effect is likely to be small unless the designer really blows it badly. Another issue is that listeners claim to hear a difference in cables; so is that difference an improvement or a degradation in S.Q.? With cables, once R L & C are properly attended to, and maybe aesthetics, shielding where indicated, and handling feel as well, it's a done deal. It's not that difficult to get it right. There's no magic involved, outside of making money mysteriously disappear from wallets.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Or rather, if a cable is designed in a stupid enough way it makes a difference to sound, but not the one it claims to do.

No veils lifted or microplankton multiplying. Just a pointless mangling of the frequency response.
You mean all the time I "thought" my microplankton was multiplying it was actually sitting there doing nothing? I have been swindled, robbed, ripped off and taken advantage of. Sheesh, you can't trust anyone nowadays.

egellings

Major Contributor
A cable that exhibits a difference from normal wire of sufficient gauge always presents a degradation of the signal.

Let's imagine that you are a cable manufacturer. You need some sales gimmick to boost your sales. So you design a cable that is not equivalent of a standard cable, but a cable that has been deliberately "doctored" (for lack of a better word) to sound different.

Now you have three advantages. 1) You can show your customers that your cable sounds different, claiming that "different" is "better". 2) You can prove to your customers that the so-called "experts" who claim there isn't a difference in cables are wrong. 3) You can now induce your customers to trust what you say rather than what someone else says, since you've proven what you claim.

You've got those customers in the palm of your hand, and all you had to do to lock them in and get their money was construct an inferior cable. Isn't life great? :facepalm: :facepalm:

Jim
Makes complete sense to me.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest snake oil of them all are all the newfangled 21st Century televisions (any brand - any size) with built-in tuna-cans for speakers!
The industry's insult to the consumers is truly a travesty.
Have you tried to tell the dude (next door?) with a brand-new 65" Sony OLED TV that maybe he should invest some money in some speakers?
........................................................ and all you get as a response is the puppy eyes!

egellings

Major Contributor
I think that with the TVs being so flat & thin, it would be difficult to get anything worthy of being called a speaker in there. Best to just go with a separate sound setup.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
microplankton was multiplying it was actually sitting there doing nothing?
Not nice to make fun of plankton and accusing them of doing nothing.:(
What's next? You accusing seaweed for invading your acoustical treatment.
Oh wait, I recently read that "sustainability scientists" (@IndianInstituteOfTechnology/Kanpur) are trying to do just that!o_O

Top Bottom