• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

sq225917

Major Contributor
"hearing is believing, I guess." Well it is for me. I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them. I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so. You know how I came to this conclusion? I was in the market for a dac a while ago. I listened to a number of Dacs at the top of the measurement list here and disliked many of them. I listened to a number of dacs based on technology that some of you disparage, and found they are far to my preference. As a dedicated live music follower, (opera), why should I consider something that does not appeal and does not sound like a live performance?
I can't help but get the feeling that you may have taken a wrong turn on the Internet to end up here.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My other son spent 8 months writing software and then took a pay cut to release the magic smoke in batteries and power electronics instead. He is much happier now (especially when flame results).
If you notice this thread is really about *Hardware.
Simple reason is bcuz most every *Software is a snake-oil by birth...until the next update/upgrade/bug-fix.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Veil Lifter 2.0" now with kitchen API.
20th Century sarcasm was to say "Better living thru Chemistry!" but 21st Century has managed to one-up that to "Better living thru Software!"
What could possibly go wrong??:confused:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But that's hardware's limitation, isn't it?
That argument started between the sparkies versus bit-sh*tters at the work coffee bar, when the sw EEs became a thing in late 70s.
Finger pointing has not stopped since... you can tell I am from behind doorA.;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
"hearing is believing,
And "believing" is the first step in getting into a cult.
I guess." Well it is for me. I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them.
I stash them in tiny memory storage units dispersed throughout the house.
I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so.
I'd rather not listen to a component. I'd rather hear music.
You know how I came to this conclusion? I was in the market for a dac a while ago. I listened to a number of Dacs at the top of the measurement list here and disliked many of them. I listened to a number of dacs based on technology that some of you disparage, and found they are far to my preference. As a dedicated live music follower, (opera), why should I consider something that does not appeal and does not sound like a live performance?
I rather doubt that a DAC should make that much difference, and if it does, it's probably designed to malfunction.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My other son spent 8 months writing software and then took a pay cut to release the magic smoke in batteries and power electronics instead. He is much happier now (especially when flame results).
I have mentioned on ASR before how I used to let the smoke out of all kinds of drivers. It is fun! It is like playing with matches but you get a longer period of enjoyment. Plus you make lots of noise/sound doing it. I always have liked blowing things up electrically or physically. But then after I do that we all have to sit in one of those dreaded "day after" safety meetings where we are told not to do what I did. All the time knowing, I will do it again!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm starting to think this is a badly coded bot.

My hunch is this is the type of person who shows up to a site like this briefly to yank everyone's chain for a bit, then either get banned for trollish behavior or just disappear. Later on an audiophile forum they will say "I was on the ASR forum and they were awful to me - it's just a cult of Close Minded Nazis!"

fatoldgit

The world gets crazier every day.

£7,950/$US10,000 for a turntable drive speed regulator.

Until they decided to close up, you could get a phoenix engineering falcon psu and roadrunner tachometer (i.e. a closed loop system that automatically set the platter spinning at the exact speed ) for ~$US 600. No snake oil just sound engineering at a reasonable price.

I have noticed over the last few years that the high priced stuff is getting higher priced.

For example: https://www.hifinews.com/content/dagostino-relentless-preamp-preamplifier

Thats a pre-amp for £159,500/$US208,000... prices like that didnt really exist 10 years ago... so obviously as the rich got richer vendors upped the price limit for high priced gear to match the new found wealth.

Peter

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so obviously as the rich got richer vendors upped the price limit for high priced gear to match the new found wealth.
That about sums up the progression of high-end audio for the past 40 years. Appreciative of Chinese suppliers like Topping delivering high quality at affordable prices.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
The world gets crazier every day.

£7,950/$US10,000 for a turntable drive speed regulator.

Until they decided to close up, you could get a phoenix engineering falcon psu and roadrunner tachometer (i.e. a closed loop system that automatically set the platter spinning at the exact speed ) for ~$US 600. No snake oil just sound engineering at a reasonable price.

I have noticed over the last few years that the high priced stuff is getting higher priced.

For example: https://www.hifinews.com/content/dagostino-relentless-preamp-preamplifier

Thats a pre-amp for £159,500/$US208,000... prices like that didnt really exist 10 years ago... so obviously as the rich got richer vendors upped the price limit for high priced gear to match the new found wealth.

Peter
As I said in another thread, D'Agostino gear is ridiculously expensive audiophool stuff. However, it is also impeccably machined and beautiful (IMO) to look at. I just can't comprehend dumping that kind of cash into audio equipment. I suppose if you can drive a $10M+ Ferrari, why not?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"hearing is believing, I guess." Well it is for me. I do not hang graphs up on my wall and worship them. I would also much rather listen to a piece of equipment and then comment than just disparage it without doing so. You know how I came to this conclusion? I was in the market for a dac a while ago. I listened to a number of Dacs at the top of the measurement list here and disliked many of them. I listened to a number of dacs based on technology that some of you disparage, and found they are far to my preference. As a dedicated live music follower, (opera), why should I consider something that does not appeal and does not sound like a live performance?
Ignore the naysayers on this thread, they don't and never will understand. In fact, First Run Copper has offered $1 million challenge to these naysayers and none are willing to take them up on the challenge. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Do you own the Olympus Infinity T Ground Box? I think the Scientific Audiophile on YouTube would like to review one if you're willing to loan it, as he uses both his ears and science to determine how well an audio product works.

Just ignore the negativity of others, as I'm certain this post will bring out the worst in those who can't hear a difference. I've got a thick skin and can take the abuse.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't help but get the feeling that you may have taken a wrong turn on the Internet to end up here.
A friend of mine had this box and was amazed at the lifted veils. Unfortunately he is no longer with us, and I'm not sure what happened to the box.

The medical examiner may have destroyed it, as the soil inside had E. Coli and that is what killed my friend. They were speculating the soil was from a pasture or farm, and the E. Coli was from livestock or the field workers. Last I heard they were trying (unsuccessfully) to get the workers to submit 'samples' for analysis.

Damn shame, as that box was really something for the money. Easily did as much for his system as the PS Audio regenerator.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ignore the naysayers on this thread, they don't and never will understand. In fact, First Run Copper has offered $1 million challenge to these naysayers and none are willing to take them up on the challenge. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Do you own the Olympus Infinity T Ground Box? I think the Scientific Audiophile on YouTube would like to review one if you're willing to loan it, as he uses both his ears and science to determine how well an audio product works.

Just ignore the negativity of others, as I'm certain this post will bring out the worst in those who can't hear a difference. I've got a thick skin and can take the abuse.
You are a cruel, cruel man.

Not that this is a bad thing.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
In fact, First Run Copper has offered $1 million challenge to these naysayers and none are willing to take them up on the challenge. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Not anymore, I’ve claimed it. They said “cheque’s in the mail”.

I already ordered some Entreq planter boxes for my herb garden.

egellings

Major Contributor
Didn't the late Randi the magician bring up this cable sound difference business too, and offer a 1 megabuck reward if anyone could tell the difference between cords (not sure if power or small signal or speaker type) in a supervised scientifically run blinded listening experiment? I understand that no one took him up on it, last I read.

Top Bottom