• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Apropos of one of the countermelodies running through the fugue that is this thread ;) -- I think I'll start a separate thread on the archaeology (or is it paleontology... or forensics?) of "audiophile wires" anon.
Meanwhile -- doing some quick searches for early tests of high-end ;) cables, I ran into this -- which I believe I've seen mentioned on ASR before. From 1983, so quite a while after the seeds had been sown, so to speak.

1667353653177.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1983-08.pdf

1667353823491.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apropos of one of the countermelodies running through the fugue that is this thread ;) -- I think I'll start a separate thread on the archaeology (or is it paleontology... or forensics?) of "audiophile wires" anon.
Meanwhile -- doing some quick searches for early tests of high-end ;) cables, I ran into this -- which I believe I've seen mentioned on ASR before. From 1983, so quite a while after the seeds had been sown, so to speak.

View attachment 240666

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/80s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1983-08.pdf

View attachment 240667
Wow, 24AWG speaker cable. No wonder they thought a reasonable sized cable was better.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Bybee Quantum Purifiers combed out all the snags ;)
You know, mentioning this epochal product got me to musin'...
In this day and age, with the rise in interest in analog media (LP rekkids and even -- heaven forefend! -- cassette tapes :eek:), I wonder if, just maybe, there's a market for Newtonian Purifiers, too?

:cool:

Where are my quantum entanglement cables?
Shouldn't that be "when are my quantum entanglement cables?" ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you read the article? This was with 30' lengths. With typical lengths, the resistance will be much lower and the difference much less.
Uh, well, ok. Still pretty bad idea. Is the idea to save money on speaker cable?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Apparently this thin stuff was sometimes given away with budget systems/speakers, but the real point in this test was to make the comparison more extreme. AWG is not generally used in the UK so I had to look this up <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes>. Wow, 0.5 mm diameter! Is that about what's used in telephone cable (the indoor stuff)?
Telephone cables are much smaller, it’s used for lighting flexible cords. That’s the reason a lighting protective circuit breaker is rated at 6 Amps, while the fixed wiring has a minimum CSA of 1.0 sq.MM and could be used on much more heavy loads than a circuit with a protective device rated at 6 Amps.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Telephone cables are much smaller, it’s used for lighting flexible cords. That’s the reason a lighting protective circuit breaker is rated at 6 Amps, while the fixed wiring has a minimum CSA of 1.0 sq.MM and could be used on much more heavy loads than a circuit with a protective device rated at 6 Amps.
It seems that telephone cabling (in-wall) is usually CAT 5 these days and this is normally AWG 24. Was a thinner cable used before?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that telephone cabling (in-wall) is usually CAT 5 these days and this is normally AWG 24. Was a thinner cable used before?
Not here. I still have some of the old four conductor 24AWG, with a gray jacket.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Not here. I still have some of the old four conductor 24AWG, with a gray jacket.
Right, so that gauge is what was tested in the Stereo Review article. Thanks.

FWIW I know someone who used to reckon telephone cable actually sounded better than "normal" speaker cable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, so that gauge is what was tested in the Stereo Review article. Thanks.

FWIW I know someone who used to reckon telephone cable actually sounded better than "normal" speaker cable.
I guess if you like the bass lump. Not hard to believe someone might.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 240666

View attachment 240667

Here is the conclusion:
SpeakerCableConclusion.jpg

That was then, this is now:

StereophilerecommendedCables.jpg

- Rich

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the conclusion:
View attachment 240807

That was then, this is now:

View attachment 240808

- Rich
If you don't like dynamic slam and detail, I'm sure someone else will buy them ;)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't like dynamic slam and detail, I'm sure someone else will buy them ;)

I cannot afford the dynamic slam, nor the duck. :)

- Rich

HedgeHog

Install under carpeting? OMG!

“Elevate Your Musical Experience with the Best-Selling Cable Supports on the Market: Award-Winning Cable Elevators Improve Dynamics, Focus, Detail, and More”​

View attachment 240454
Those are legit products. Ceramic power cable isolators are on power line poles. Cost $5 or so. But their use case migrating to the audiophile realm is a bit of a fantasy. It does keep cables routing tidy.
SFe7KkC.jpg

Top Bottom