• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Westsounds

Users and reviewer/s have stated that XLR and RCA outputs run at the same time. Can either of them be turned off? From my reading of the manual, I see no such option. Can any user confirm? It's a deal-breaker for me.
Why a deal breaker?

I actually thought it was a nice feature to have two outputs. There are not many sources which have that especially a choice of two connectors as well. There is so much more you could do with that.

daclogic

Why a deal breaker?

I actually thought it was a nice feature to have two outputs. There are not many sources which have that especially a choice of two connectors as well. There is so much more you could do with that.
It is a useful feature, I agree. I use something similar now. The XLR run the subs, RCA to the amp. But in bed about midnight I like to turn the subs off. And if I have to get out of bed to disconnect XLR cables, that's a deal-breaker.

Westsounds

It is a useful feature, I agree. I use something similar now. The XLR run the subs, RCA to the amp. But in bed about midnight I like to turn the subs off. And if I have to get out of bed to disconnect XLR cables, that's a deal-breaker.
Buy a smart Power strip for your subs it'll cost you roughly £20 on amazon or two plugs £5 each. You can switch off subs from your phone then. Or if you have amazon alexa you don't need a phone, you just program the plugs and say Alexa Subs Off, and your personal assistant does it for you :) That is actually exactly what I'm doing in my set up.

I have subs connected and neighbours complain at night so I reduce the output after a certain time. HiFi still sounds wonderful just less bass. The dual outputs on the 9n is just one of the few devices that allows extra outputs and gives you flexibility to use it for other things. Great if you are into analogue recording also or want to use a tube buffer. But with the filters on the 9n it can give the effect of a tube anyway but you still might like your own tubes.

daclogic

Buy a smart Power strip for your subs it'll cost you roughly £20 on amazon or two plugs £5 each. You can switch off subs from your phone then. Or if you have amazon alexa you don't need a phone, you just program the plugs and say Alexa Subs Off, and your personal assistant does it for you :) That is actually exactly what I'm doing in my set up.

I have subs connected and neighbours complain at night so I reduce the output after a certain time. HiFi still sounds wonderful just less bass. The dual outputs on the 9n is just one of the few devices that allows extra outputs and gives you flexibility to use it for other things. Great if you are into analogue recording also or want to use a tube buffer. But with the filters on the 9n it can give the effect of a tube anyway but you still might like your own tubes.
That's a cool way of doing it. So do you have the SU-9/n? Can the outputs be switched off?

Westsounds

You can even program your plugs to switch off at a certain time everyday no need to even switch them off it'll automatically do it for you.

dennyboy

Turn the sub gain to lowest from the remote.

Top Bottom