• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Hello community!
Does it still going strong in 20024? Wanna upgrade my old SMSL M3, that i use with Android phone to listen flacs via vintage amp and speakers, also through small Xduoo 602 HP amp.
Looking at this SMSL SU-8 and SU-1. Will be there a noticeable difference / worthy upgrade? And which one is definitely a better choice?

Why not the SMSL M300-SE?

Price is very low, XLR outputs (and RCA) and also 2 headphones output, better screen than the SU8, a button for volume and settings, Bt...

Why not the SMSL M300-SE?

Price is very low, XLR outputs (and RCA) and also 2 headphones output, better screen than the SU8, a button for volume and settings, Bt...
Well, i'll take a look at it too! Thanks.

Exactly, maybe you'll notice an improvement by upgrading other components like Amplifiers or Headphones
At this moment i need just slight upgrade to my current setup. After big repairing of my future living place there will be different toys. Well, i guess i'll try one, 80 Euri is not that money to regret. And it's Amazon, i can return it. :)
Is SU-1 the best sounding device in this price range?

Last edited:
At this moment i need just slight upgrade to my current setup. After big repairing of my future living place there will be different toys. Well, i guess i'll try one, 80 Euri is not that money to regret. And it's Amazon, i can return it. :)
Is SU-1 the best sounding device in this price range?
SU-1 is a DAC with excelent measurements and you'd probably won't need to buy a DAC anymore, for that price is a steal. But like I implied before, I don't think DAC's sound different, SU-1 and SU-8 are both transparent enough and with great features, you just need to look for the ones you really need :)

After a few hours of testing, I have noticed that the loudest (most frequent) popping/sound cuts accores while playing YouTube videos and lower quality music files from harddisk (44100hz/16bit). When playing higher quality music fiiles (96000hz/24bit) from harddisk there is almost no popping and zero sound cuts, which is very werid. Same results are present while using real-time kernel on Debian. While USB PC output/DAC input are active, all sources are perfectly clean, no issues at all. I know that it sounds like i'm crazy, but I checked with various songs. :) There are some reported kernel bugs while using HDA Intel PCH (what I use), but all of them are very old and solved.

I'm using MPD for movies, but sure I will check out MPDroid, it sounds like a nice and useful feature. Also tried to play some music with MPD, but same result as with DeadBeeF.
Hello,

I have an SMSL SU-8 that i’ve used for 5 years for an annual recital from my laptop to my PA system.

Historically i use a windows laptop. However I have a quad core Intel core i5 miniPC I have running Debian 12 Bookworm (which rocks) and gnome gui.
The tech rehearsal is tomorrow (today now) and of course I thought a fun last minute challenge would be to try running things through DeadbeeF on Bookworm

Have you tried the SU-8 on Bookworm?
Do you think the latest linux default kernel that installs with Bookworm is good enough? I saw you all talking about some custom/real time kernel. I’m not probably advanced enough for that.
I saw some previous commentary about pulse-audio (puke) which is apparently now replaced by Pipewire.

I downloaded a .rar from the smsl site. Did you need to install drivers from that?

Thanks for anyone who uses Debian and might respond.

Hello,

I have an SMSL SU-8 that i’ve used for 5 years for an annual recital from my laptop to my PA system.

Historically i use a windows laptop. However I have a quad core Intel core i5 miniPC I have running Debian 12 Bookworm (which rocks) and gnome gui.
The tech rehearsal is tomorrow (today now) and of course I thought a fun last minute challenge would be to try running things through DeadbeeF on Bookworm

Have you tried the SU-8 on Bookworm?
Do you think the latest linux default kernel that installs with Bookworm is good enough? I saw you all talking about some custom/real time kernel. I’m not probably advanced enough for that.
I saw some previous commentary about pulse-audio (puke) which is apparently now replaced by Pipewire.

I downloaded a .rar from the smsl site. Did you need to install drivers from that?

Thanks for anyone who uses Debian and might respond.
I use so many different version of Debian on so many different computers... Nothing to add, except it works on AMD64 and ARM64 architectures. No "drivers" to install.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom