• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M300 MKII vs. Topping D50s

jaldeany

Hey all, I'm looking for a DAC for a bedroom (casual) system. I have a pair of studio monitors and a subwoofer that I want to get a signal from either my TV (optical) or computer (USB or Bluetooth when I'm lazy and want to stream lossy music). These two DACs are pretty much perfect for my needs: remote, volume control, multiple inputs (specifically optical, USB, and Bluetooth), and are a decent price. I see that the D50s measures quite well based on the review here however it does not have balanced outputs. My monitors do take either XLR or RCA inputs but I've been satisfied so far with RCA. Does anyone have experience with these two DACs and can compare them?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What did you buy ? D50s looks more slick but M300 MK2 is beast, much better imo.

wassim01

I have the dac smsl m300 mk2 for 5 weeks I will share my experience with you with this dac (my setup is smsl m300 mk2 + smsl sp200 + akg k712 pro): 1- I have no noise by connecting this dac to my pc via the USB output unlike my second dac ifi zen dac which makes noise especially if I increase the sound of my amp 2-no glitches frequently when powering up 3- this dac smsl requires a lot of running-in time to give its full potential. At the exit of the box the performance was mediocre and is not up to a dac of 240 euro and I was disappointed because my dac dac zen had a separation of the details which is better, but after 200 hours of burn-in the dac smsl give its full potential, I discovered a new sound, the sound scene is huge and dynamic with a very good separation of instruments, mids are detailed and natural, the treble is detailed and animated without being exaggerated, the instruments are in 3d plane. the bass is very punchy and makes my akg k712 headset vibrate which has never sung like this before. 4- wolfx700 (audiosciencereview) measured this dac and the results were excellent 5-smsl m300 mk2 is the best dac under 250 euro with exelentes input + bluetooth + remote control and it comes with a good power supply 6-m300 mk2 is better than d50s topping in terms of performance and price ( don't forget topping requires good power supply to have decent performance which will cost at least 100 euro, so in total it will cost 250 + 100 = 350 euro

Last edited:

Human Bass

I doubt there is any perceived difference. The D50S has the advantage of having LDAC, which assures close to lossless BT. The mk300 has balanced outputs. So it's up to you decide which one is worthy more.

If the m300 gets LDAC, it will become the best deal of the market.

OP
J

jaldeany

What did you buy ? D50s looks more slick but M300 MK2 is beast, much better imo.

I ended up going with the D50s but it hasn't arrived yet.

I doubt there is any perceived difference. The D50S has the advantage of having LDAC, which assures close to lossless BT. The mk300 has balanced outputs. So it's up to you decide which one is worthy more.

If the m300 gets LDAC, it will become the best deal of the market.

Good to know. I will primarily be using the BT feature.

ModDIY

The new DAC SMSL M200 has the LDAC and balanced outputs. It is a little more expensive than the M300 mk II.

Top Bottom