• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M300 Mk II or similar DAC designs in 2.1 scenarios using both XLR and RCA

beren777

I have a SMSL M300 Mk II that I'd like to use with two bookshelf speakers (NHT C3) + subwoofer. My preference:

SMSL XLR -> Amplifier (EVAL1) -> Bookshelves

SMSL RCA -> Subwoofer

Should I connect both L and R RCA jacks of the DAC to the sub, or just one channel? This DAC does not have a dedicated sub out, and I don't think there is an option to sum the outputs on one RCA output. I don't know of they need to be summed, or if >= 80Hz is effectively mono and I just would need to turn up the sub volume.

If I am using sealed speakers, is there still a need to worry about pass filters if I use the LPF of the sub at the -3 db point of the speakers? (Hometheaterhifi reports this to be 65 Hz.)

I know I can do this more properly with a MiniDSP, but then I need to use RCA->XLR. (Only MiniDSP I have currently is a 2x4 HD.)

Top Bottom