• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 336 89.8%

• Total voters

poppie8

Have someone bought this dac yet - any issues with crackling sound when switching between spdif and USB input , or other issues ?

It would be nice to know that the serie version of this dac is as good as the one sent to Amirm.
I know this is a few months ago but thought I'd respond to this question as I'm been evaluating some dacs for my use. I had to return the smsl m300se due to the mentioned crackling/popping noises though I liked everything about it but couldn't live with the noises issue. I've recently purchased the d-6s and don't have any of these issues though the price is higher. On a side note, I've also been evaluating the Wiim Pro Plus and there aren't any noises while switching inputs nor while processing a toslink feed from the Television/Display either. I just don't need the streamer (I'm using the Martin Logan Unison for room correction and it's streaming is fine for what I do) but I do need the balanced out, prefer a volume control on the unit and remote, and a USB input. As usual, these are just My observations on My system-YMMV.

kostake2011

Hello. Has anyone compared D6s with Topping DX3 Pro+. They are both on ESS. Who is better to buy? I plan to connect to JBL LSR 305.
I want to change my SMSL D6 from AK to ESS

Last edited:

gags

Thanks to Amir for all the info and everyone for the commentary.

I am specifically interested in this :

Specifically, tv optical outputs seem to generate noise nd other artifacts that many dacs see as jitter problems. In turn they try to resynch which results in pauses and other sound discontinuities.

as I may buy one of these (or similar) as I improve my home entertainment system and the USB only input on my Topping D10, while sounding perfectly fine to my naive but happy ears, doesn’t provide enough flexibility.

Does anyone know if HDMI switches which split audio out potentially suffer from the same issue? If so is it addressable via the DPLL settings also?

It’s really valuable to be able to investigate this prior to actually getting boxes and cables and plugging things in. I am grateful for the opportunity.

Last edited:

ADoIDo

Meh, just ordered one of these. There simply isn't anything comparable at this price, small size and xlr outs...period.

I bet next year someone will come out with this, without the volume knob since many of us don't need it nor a remote control.

gags

On my LG E7, both the Toslink output and HDMI eARC output occasionally make my Khadas Toneboard stutter.

Yes.
Thank you for your reply.

I think I’m after something a little different.

Hopefully I can plug various HDMI sources into something like this and use the remote to select which HDMI source ends up on the tv.

Independently the audio can be routed either to the tv along side the video in the HDMI output or elsewhere.

If the tv then eARC to a sound bar, satisfying the family’s requirement that things must just work.

Elsewhere would be optical out on the switch / splitter linked above (or similar) to a SMSL D-6s (or similar) and then off to my current two channel system that I’m quite happy with. This satisfies my requirement of things have to sound bloody amazing.

My question is based on the switch / splitter being quite a cheap thing and I was telling myself I was just being a snob until I heard about the tv optical out to DAC in problems and wondered if the switch / splitter could be expected to also exhibit this type of issue.

Normally Amir recommends a filter. Which one to use here?

index.php

JIW

Normally Amir recommends a filter. Which one to use here?

index.php

Look for the most attenuation above 22 kHz. Also look at highest frequency it stays at 0 dB. Filter 3 has the best attenuation above 22 kHz but only extends to about 19 kHz at 0 dB. Filter 4 has similar attenuation to filter 3 but only above 24 kHz but extends to about 21 kHz at 0 dB.

nanook

I have received my 2nd D-6s this week (the DAC in the other room started to break down and simply was not worth getting repaired).
The D-6s is hooked to a small NUC Windows-PC (->USB), to a LS-Teufel streaming device (->Toslink) and to a Samsung DVBT2 TV-receiver via a small HAMA Toslink-SPDIF converter (->coax).
With the default DPLL setting (4) all sources play with no problem. I have not tried to decrease the value yet. Seems ESS has done a very good job designing the DPLL.

It's a nice feature that the D-6s memorizes all settings when the power is cycled; i.e. when it got switched of and on again, signal source, volume setting, etc. are in the same state like before. The unit even memorizes the power state. When you cycled power with the D-6s "on", it will be "on" when you reconnect power.

Feesh

Does anyone know if the old SMSL ''ABC'' remote still works with the new DACs that come with their own remote control?

fernando.yang

I'm using D-6S with a Rasberry Pi 4 moOde player connecting with usb cable. When I play something from Pi, I notice that it seems "ignor" the very first half second of a song. Does anyone encounter similar problem?

Nurali_K

Hey guys, im a complete noob and need your advice.
My little sound mixer just died that I used to control volume and feed sound signal to a pair of old genelecs.
Would SMSL D-6s be an appropriate replacement for me?
I just need to be able to control volume and pass sound signal (via USB or optical) from computer to those powered Genelec speakers..
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Nurali

staticV3

Master Contributor
My little sound mixer just died that I used to control volume and feed sound signal to a pair of old genelecs.
I just need to be able to control volume and pass sound signal (via USB or optical) from computer to those powered Genelec speakers..
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Nurali
Yes.

JIW

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Nurali

As staticV3 already said, this can work. However, if the volume control is like that of the DL200, when you first connect it to your speakers, you should set the volume to 00 where it is muted and then raise it slowly until it is loud enough.

Nurali_K

As staticV3 already said, this can work. However, if the volume control is like that of the DL200, when you first connect it to your speakers, you should set the volume to 00 where it is muted and then raise it slowly until it is loud enough.
gotcha, thanks for that info :)
I just placed an order, should arrive next week!

danielpugh

Hi, I just got this Dac and all seems good.
Currently using the RCA out, but planning on using for active speakers (XLR), and subwoofer on RCA.

Haven't got the speakers yet, but was hoping someone could confirm that output is out of both by default?
Really hoping so!

Top Bottom