• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 336 89.8%

• Total voters

Esprit

Forum Donor
I'm referring to the number that appears on the DAC display.
They are not dB.
On a scale that goes from 0 to 99 on the D-6s, the maximum I can set, based on the sources, is the number 40.
I use Adam Audio active monitors.

staticV3

Master Contributor
They are not dB.
On a scale that goes from 0 to 99 on the D-6s, the maximum I can set, based on the sources, is the number 40.
As long as you can't hear any additional hiss out of your speakers once you plug your DAC into them, the loss in bit depth from digital volume attenuation is meaningless anyway.

Only if you can hear more hiss with the DAC plugged in, would it make sense to optimize the system by replacing digital attenuation with analog.

bogi

They are not dB.
40 out of 99 as max. digital volume level indicates the same issue. Take my example as illustrative.
No volume control on those Adam Audio monitors ??
Simply you need to attenuate in analog domain as I suggested.

bogi

As long as you can't hear any additional hiss
For me, sound quality does not reduce to not having hiss. The shifted bits are lost below DAC noise floor so he would loose resolution that way. He would listen to amplified few upper bits of recording resolution.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Simply you need to attenuate in analog domain as I suggested.
In most cases, the playback volume, Amplifier output noise, and listening environment are the factors that limit the effective playback bit depth. Not digital attenuation.

For example, let's say @Esprit listens at 85dBSPL Peak in an environment with a 20dB SPL noise floor.
That would limit the maximum achievable playback dynamic range to 65dB or about 11 bits.

In other words, using the D-6s in this scenario, Esprit could apply more than 60dB of digital attenuation before the audio fidelity would actually be affected. And that's assuming no audible noise from the Amp.

bogi

That would limit the maximum achievable playback dynamic range to 65dB or about 11 bits.
One can digitally attenuate a 24 bit recording in software player by for example 9 bits = 54 dB to get only 11 bits = 66dB of resolution up to 20 bit = 120dB DAC resolution.
Then one can set DAC volume control to 0dB and use a preamp or headamp to amplify to get the desired full volume.

Then one can play original 24bit recording at 0dB in a software player, attenuated by preamp or headamp to the same listening level like in the 1st case.
Do you expect the same sound quality?

In the 1st case only few upper bits of original audio content are amplified. So the amplified content is restricted in resolution - it comes from few bits only.
In the 2nd case you are attenuating sound information coming from much more digital bits. Attenuation "compresses" information from those much more bits into lower listening level, but the information is retained. Therefore I expect better audibility of low level sounds and details in the 2nd case.

So the difference is what is the content of those 65 dB of maximum achievable playback dynamic range. From how many original digital bits is that content created. Therefore I stand behind my opinion that the sound quality is not the same in these 2 cases.
BTW, In such a cases, comparing by listening is much faster way to make things clear than to write a forum post.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you expect the same sound quality?
Yes.

Using digital attenuation, the audio content will just stop where the noise floor of the environment starts.
Using analog attenuation, the content will still technically be there, but will be masked by the noise floor.

In both cases, the content above the noise floor will be identical and whatever is below it, does not matter.

Grael

SMSL products are divided by sales channel. D-6s is an exclusive product of Shenzhen Audio. Since it is a proprietary product, it is not listed on the HP. DL200 is a product whose sales channel is HiFiExpress. There are other products that use AOSHIDA as a sales channel.
Not that much exclusive ;)

bogi

In both cases, the content above the noise floor will be identical and whatever is below it, does not matter.

In the 1st case a signal containing a fraction of original digital resolution is coming to DAC input, then it is amplified in analog domain.
In the 2nd case complete digital signal is coming to DAC input and then it is attenuated in analog domain.
Difference audibility between the two cases depends on signal spectrum below noise floor. Many audio professionals tell that for example if signal energy few dB below noise floor is concentrated into a single tone, it will be audible. Ask people from sonar world.
When environment noise floor lowers, for example during late evening hours, the difference may come to be more obvious. In the 1st case lower level content may be missing and in the 2nd the content is here.
Then, you are considering ideally behaving audio devices.
People with analog preamp/headamp can easily try, if your view is true on their equipment with their ears.

Esprit

Forum Donor
As long as you can't hear any additional hiss out of your speakers once you plug your DAC into them, the loss in bit depth from digital volume attenuation is meaningless anyway.
Volume at maximum, 99, no input signal otherwise with 1,100 watts I would be deaf, zero hiss, noise or buzz on the Adam (connected in XLR).

Esprit

Forum Donor
No volume control on those Adam Audio monitors ??
Obviously not, I can attenuate, but I've never done it in all these years because I have no idea how it behaves, the input level up to 20dB.
Then I have a Bryston BP25 collecting dust and this other one, which is only 30 years old (also never used).

1498DE23-817B-472D-91F1-A22D8C735FB5.jpeg
CC1E0B97-81E8-4B5D-9CF1-FFC25CD5BD2D.jpeg
C9DBEF58-B35F-45AB-8550-73015DD34115.jpeg
F65D348B-383F-4438-9B2B-C53C0FB92E55.jpeg

bogi

Obviously not, I can attenuate, but I've never done it in all these years because I have no idea how it behaves, the input level up to 20dB.
Why do you hesitate to lower gain of your Adam speakers? That's the best thing you can do ...

paulg1

If I use a D6-s with active loudspeakers which have their own volume control, would the best setting be to use the DAC at full volume, and control the room listening level with the loudspeaker volume control? It seems from this thread that this is best. Isn't this the case generally with DACs that have volume controls?

bogi

would the best setting be to use the DAC at full volume, and control the room listening level with the loudspeaker volume control?
My approach is:
1. Lower digital volume level in software player to -3dB to avoid possible intersample overflows in oversampling DAC. DAC volume control is not the right place to treat that since it is applied to already oversampled signal.
2. Set DAC to full volume. No need add yet one digital volume control.
3. Adjust loudspeaker volume control to max. listening volume level you plan to use. You may use some quiet recording and set a normal or a bit more than usual normal volume level for it.
Then, to adjust to different recordings, use any volume control available according to convenience: in software player, or DAC volume control, or loudspeaker analog volume control if it is easily reachable (for example when using a headamp, or sitting behind a computer with near field monitors, or when you are using an integrated amp with remote control).

Of course, use any other approach which gives you sound you like. Don't forget what's most important when using audio gear: your enjoyment.

Last edited:

Karlser

Compared tp my Smsl C 100, would the D.6.s be an upgrade?
The Smsl C 100 can only use USB for power throug a single USB connector; and is a single chip design.

Also, I've seen quite a few comments in different message ports re. cips, and their sonic properties.

The AKM chips, like the AK4493S in my CL 100, seem to be considered being more "pleasant" than the ES chis such as the dual ES9039Q2M in the D-6s.
At the same time, regardsless of chip being used, Smsl is in general being decribed as being a bit on the more "pleasant" side of things, compared to say Topping.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Compared tp my Smsl C 100, would the D.6.s be an upgrade?
The Smsl C 100 can only use USB for power throug a single USB connector; and is a single chip design.

Also, I've seen quite a few comments in different message ports re. cips, and their sonic properties.

The AKM chips, like the AK4493S in my CL 100, seem to be considered being more "pleasant" than the ES chis such as the dual ES9039Q2M in the D-6s.
At the same time, regardsless of chip being used, Smsl is in general being decribed as being a bit on the more "pleasant" side of things, compared to say Topping.
Frequency response is ruler-flat unless you're using one of the slow filters.

index.php

Not obvious from objective data how the D-6s could be more or less "pleasant"-sounding than any other objectively neural DAC. That said, I do subjectively enjoy the sound of the D-6s. Quite a lot, in fact. I imagine that's because it's really good rather than any special "voicing" given to it by SMSL.

PyramidElectric

I think the D-6s uses just one ES9039Q2M, not that it really matters... From what I understand the ES9039Q2M kind of made the reasons (or at least some of the reasons) for using '2 x ES9038Q2M' redundant.
Until someone can prove to me otherwise, the whole AKM vs ESS thing seems to basically be people falling for AKM's marketing ("Velvet sound"). This may be an unconcious bias, but the measurements do not lie. * I have nothing against AKM based dacs, i've owned a couple and they both sounded great.

Jim Anderson

I bought mine from Apos Audio. It does not work with Apple OS. Apos does not return emails, Smsl the same. Please stop promoting Chinese junk because " it measures well "

Top Bottom