• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 337 89.6%

• Total voters

ocinn

It's as if SMSL want to cater to the XLR crowd with d-6s coz DL200 has only TRS for balanced out ie making both camps happy ?
This is total semantics. TRS and XLR are identical. TRS is industry standard in the pro (studio) world due to packaging limitations which is exactly why SMSL used it

Because they are quite literally, the exact same cable and format, adapters are comically cheap.

If $10 of cables or adapters is a make or break feature for your DAC purchase you probably shouldn’t be in this hobby

daniboun

Major Contributor
Last edited:

PyramidElectric

Thanks, but this does not really answer if the preamp and the amplifier should be balanced as well as the balanced DAC. I am asking because I wonder if I should change all my gear to balanced equipment in order to take advantage of the performance of these balanced DACs. If so, so cheap after all! :)
The DAC has unbalanced RCA outputs, and balanced XLR outputs, so if you have unbalanced amp with RCA inputs it will work abslutely fine. Amir's measurements (XLR vs RCA) show exactly what you would be giving up by not going balanced, and it's well into the realms of 'inaudible'. Obviously this is assuming your balanced/unbalanced amp choices are equal in performance.

Transmaniacon

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it the database of my hero Crinacle? I really like that guy!
Crinacle's measurements are included in that database.

It´s the same for MQA. Perhaps they use some more "natural" Filters in regard of the Phase.
"Natural" is certainly one way of describing MQA's filters:
Screenshot_20231020-131242_YouTube.png Screenshot_20231020-131321_YouTube.png
Screenshot_20231020-131647_YouTube.png Screenshot_20231020-131759_YouTube.png
Graphs are from Goldensound's investigation into MQA: Link

daniboun

Major Contributor
I’m glad I snagged a A10d for $169, I like the design better of that compared to this one.

The main difference is the ESS Chip : Single es9039q2m for SMSL VS Dual es9038q2m for the Sabaj )

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
smsl win there too because they own sabaj

there's a still have a dozen A10d units on amazon main

but that at best 'refurbs', at worst 'used'

BUT... $152... ehh.... i'd take the risk

'you have the charts there so make up your own mind'

Transmaniacon

The main difference is the ESS Chip : Single es9039q2m for SMSL VS Dual es9038q2m for the Sabaj )
Thanks, both are completely transparent at this point.

daniboun

Major Contributor
smsl win there too because they own sabaj

Not exactly )

Sabaj belongs to SHENZHEN DAHAO TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD
SMSL VMV belongs to Foshan Shuangmusanlin technology Co., Ltd
SMSL > Shenzhen Shuangmu Sanlin; Electronics Co

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I'm hoping someone might know how well the smsl d6s would work with the optical output of a TV. Specifically, tv optical outputs seem to generate noise nd other artifacts that many dacs see as jitter problems. In turn they try to resynch which results in pauses and other sound discontinuities. Some smsl dacs with ESS chips have adjustable dpll settings which allows more tolerance to these artifacts. How well does the akm chip in the d6s react to these artifacts?

I have a SMSL SU-8 hooked up via optical to a Samsung Smart TV: No issues.

TNT

Using default F2 filter,
... as this product also contain an almost perfect filter - the green No 3, it would had been very interesting to see multi-tone as well as .. (what don't you have a proper identifier for each measurement - no name or Fig. xy ... one can't easily referent to what picture one want to comment on...) ...well - that distortion measurement I quoted measurement.

//

daniboun

Major Contributor
SMSL needs to make a DAC with swappable op amps. Not interested in soldering.
given the measures which already go beyond our human perceptions, the interest is less........

In any case : Before swapping, op amps : you need to study /check the concerned circuit, to review the datasheets and check if the opamps are suitable for the unit

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DL200 likely beats the C200.. same:ish price

Amir haven't tested the DL200. While I'm sure it will probably beat the C200 by an inaudible hair, its also more than twice as large in physical size which is pretty hard to fit on a PC desktop for users like me.

DL200: 221.9x31x206.7mm
C200: 139*32*147.5mm

Top Bottom