• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL AO100 Amplifier Class D "Subjective review"

Joe Smith

Well, small bummer...after only 4 months, the Bluetooth on the AO100 seems to have crapped out. Connection was always a little flakey from time to time (connection was prone to some drop outs unless you had the sending device pretty close to the receiver in the unit). I tried an alternate antenna, no change. Have written to the Amazon seller (SMSL distribution in the US) to see if at four months, they will send me a replacement unit if I return this one. Disappointing; I have ten year old Jambox BT speakers that are still working just fine. I wonder if this is a general chip issue or if I just got a lemon? Amp still works, but hoping that at four months they will swap me... Anyone else having BT issues with this model?

Joe Smith

Hi guys. Just wanted to say thank you for the discussions and reviews and to give my thumbs up to this little beauty. This is my first foray in mini budget d class amp and I can't believe how compact and amazing it is. It is a full integrated with volume+tone control, a remote and at half the size of my peachtree dac itx!
the ao100 is replacing arcam solo mini.
The Bluetooth is ok but does not compare to the quality from the line out. My signal chain is Yt music hq, Chromecast tv, cheap HDMI audio converter, peachtree dac itx, smsl ao100 and Sony ss-csd1 2way 12cm woofer 6ohm mini Sys bookshelf. Plenty of power and punch for the Sony bookshelf, it really sings, brining out the golden Sony syrup prat.

Rediculous price, absolutely ridiculous! Black magic stuff.
Is your Bluetooth input holding up? Mine just crapped out after 4 months of infrequent use. Connection/hook to device was always a bit iffy compared to other wireless receivers I use. I'm wondering if the receiver chip they used was a crappy one?

Taoster

Is your Bluetooth input holding up? Mine just crapped out after 4 months of infrequent use. Connection/hook to device was always a bit iffy compared to other wireless receivers I use. I'm wondering if the receiver chip they used was a crappy one?
I don't use Bluetooth but just tried for 30min with no drop out. Disappointing with the warranty policy when it is a clear defect

TonyJZX

I would imagine these amps with the bluetooth permanently disabled would be a good thing.

I have never used nor even switched the BT on with my A300.

BUT since these cheaper units are just "always on".... kind of annoying. They should just wire in a i/o switch on the back or put it in the menu.

Joe Smith

Well, surprise, surprise. After a night off/powered down, BT came back on and sends connection signal, and so far is doing better with maintaining good reception. Aoshida HiFi US also responded and was willing to honor the warranty, which was good to hear. I told them to hold and I'd test it off and on more next couple of days. I'm glad, because the main draw for me with this unit was the combo line/BT capability. It is perfect for one of my more "background" systems downstairs, where my wife prefers music at a softer level.

Joe Smith

I hope Amir tests one of these eventually...I think it's a really good value in the near-$100 amps available.

Top Bottom