• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should linearity tests be given importance in amps?

Vasr

Major Contributor
I asked Amir in one of the threads on whether linearity can be measured for amps and he replied in the affirmative but one would need to standardize the power levels to do such a test.

With recent experience from an amp I acquired, I am wondering if this test would show up some poor amps even if they have a flat FR. And whether we should figure out a way to standardize that. They might even explain the "sound signatures", even if the FR is flat. Has any site done such tests for amps to see if this is a non-issue for most amps to bother?

The amp has been OK with no obvious signs of distortion or noise and sounds clean across the range (at least the range I can hear) but it has been very unsatisfactory aurally compared to the amp it replaced. So, I have been doing a lot of listening tests to see what this is missing and I have arrived at a conjecture.

The amp seems to attenuate the low-level signals (across the spectrum not in any part) way too much relative to the higher-level signals. This has a couple of audible effects. One, many of the harmonics that make an instrument sound rich/warm are at very low levels. If those are attenuated too much because of their relative levels, then the perceived sound is altered. Some instruments sound thin for example. Two, some of the details get lost. There might be a small playful work on a symbol by a percussionist which at normal relative levels contributes a lot to the passage but if attenuated may never show up enough. So this is not a masking effect since the attenuated part may be in a completely different part of the spectrum from the louder sounds at the time.

To test this, I compressed the same song with Audacity as a modern mix might and a lot of detail shows up that can never be heard with this amp uncompressed. These were clearly heard in the previous amp with the same rest of the audio chain. If I increase the volume to hear the low level parts, the louder parts get way too loud. It is almost like the amp is designed for compressed sound!

One would think such critical listening issues would only happen for stereo music listening but I have found this amp not satisfactory for even multi-channel HT. Here is how the same problem manifests. A lot of the surround mix has low level signals in surround speakers (rain, twig breaks, etc). These get lost but more annoying are the transitions from back to front and vice versa. They typically use fade outs on one pair and fade-ins on the other side. But if the low-levels during these fades are too attenuated, they you have a gap in sound when it becomes too low at the starting point and it picks up late at the ending point. So, it never gives a smooth transition only a jump which is annoying.

Is there a measurement I can do with REW that would test this conjecture?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is there a measurement I can do with REW that would test this conjecture?

Perhaps repeated sweeps at increasing levels would show a fault if it exists.

This is in-room, ambient noise intrudes at the lower levels in the bass.

There's a hole in the room at the listening position around 48Hz.

Otherwise, looks linear.

1595040855970.png

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thanks will try that. Another possibility I am thinking is to play a clean sine wave at 1khz from the signal generator at 0db, turn on the history in the REW SPL meter and then click and hold on the down level button on the signal generator (so it reduces in a steady rate) and see how the response level goes down. I should do a near field measurement at the speaker for this I think.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A power amplifier, even a relatively bad one, should not expand or compress the dynamic range depending on signal level. In fact, it would take a lot of effort to build an amplifier which does this; that would be either a compressor or a limiter. Neither of those functions are what even a mediocre power amplifier does. The frequency response of any competent power amplifier should be essentially ruler flat. The only reason this would not be the case with a speaker connected is if the amplifier has a high output impedance. This is only likely to happen in cases like single ended triode tube amplifiers with no feedback. Any remotely good solid state amplifier should have very little difference between a speaker load and a load resistor test.

Its entirely possible for a loudspeaker to compress the dynamic range, but this happens at higher power levels where the resistance of the voice coils increase due to heat. I hope you're not driving your speakers to this point; if you are doing so, either turn it down or buy bigger speakers!

Last edited:
OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
it increases the dynamic range? how is that even possible without DSP?

I don't understand the terminology or don't understand the reason as to why this has anything to do with dynamic range.

My understanding of dynamic range is that it is the level between where noise introduced at the bottom vs where the distortion occurs at the top. These symptoms have nothing to do with noise or distortion or being driven anywhere near distortion. Just increased attenuation (lower gain) as input levels go low. This could happen with no noise or distortion being introduced.

Just non-linearity in gain is sufficient to explain this, no?

My experiment with compressed content was to play the same content with the lower levels elevated relative to peaks. That made what was earlier low level details close to inaudible now audible because their levels were raised to where the gain was not as much attenuated. The amp itself did not change the dynamic range or compress it. But it indicates that it would play much more of the details in compressed music than content that has a wider dynamic range where it would "drop" the low level parts.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Just non-linearity in gain is sufficient to explain this, no?
It would take some seriously bad engineering to make a power amplifier which is not linear. At least not as bad as you explain, if I'm understanding you correctly.

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
It would take some seriously bad engineering to make a power amplifier which is not linear. At least not as bad as you explain, if I'm understanding you correctly.

I don't disagree. It is a Class D amp if that matters. Could it be a switched power supply deficiency? It doesn't seem to be caused by a particular pair of speakers. Happens with both efficient and not so efficient speakers and 4ohms or 8 ohms speakers.

Or may be the designer decided to add a noise gate to get rid of noise at low levels with attenuating artifacts above it, so engineered on purpose. :) Just being facetious but this is sort of similar to what happens when I add a noise gate in my effects pedal chain to get rid of the noise from the low output Strat pickups when played with high gain effects to get that "tone". The sound decays sharply as low levels get increasingly attenuated through the noise gate. Yes, I know hi-fi equipment is different. :)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't disagree. It is a Class D amp if that matters. Could it be a switched power supply deficiency?

There's always the possibility that your amplifier is somehow defective. If the power supply has some defect, this could cause a host of strange problems. In my experience (with Hypex modules), if the power supply isn't right, the modules simply shut down (and report this error via i2C). If all the channels don't sound right, it could be some power supply problem. There could also be some problem with the analog gain stage before the class D module, but this would likely be isolated to a single channel. In any event, if there's something seriously wrong with the sound from the amplifier, you should have it checked out by a technician.

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
It shares a single power supply across all channels.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I don't understand the terminology or don't understand the reason as to why this has anything to do with dynamic range.

dynamic range is the diference between the quietest and loudest parts. what you describe is the opposite of compression (expansion), so it increases the dynamic range. and like MMV said, this isn't something that could happen accidently. the AMP normaly amplifies all sound equaly. it would have to "gate" the input to expand the dynamic range

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
dynamic range is the diference between the quietest and loudest parts. what you describe is the opposite of compression (expansion), so it increases the dynamic range. and like MMV said, this isn't something that could happen accidently. the AMP normaly amplifies all sound equaly. it would have to "gate" the input to expand the dynamic range

Sorry we are mis-communicating here. Your understanding of what is happening is NOT what I am describing. It has nothing to do with increasing dynamic range. I don't know how to communicate this better to you. So, I will just let it be.

Ok, I figured out where we were miscommunicating. You are talking about the dynamic range of the content, I was thinking of the dynamic range of the amp. You are correct about the latter happening. But it does not need a DSP, just non-linear gain/attenuation will do that to the content as output.

I agree that we take linearity for granted but I am not so sure, especially with amp designs with shared switched power supplies, etc. It could very well be a defect (and not by design), if so I am trying to figure out which test I could do would expose it.

Sorry about the misunderstanding earlier.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
it increases the dynamic range? how is that even possible without DSP?
Putting a nonlinearity in series with the speakers like some tarnished protection relays (effective diode characteristic) will do pretty much just that.

That reminds me of the relay swap that I've been putting off in my AVR since about 2006. Sounds pathetic, but the truth of the matter is that I am not actually using the thing, as possible speaker placement for floorstanders has gone from terrible to merely meh over the years and I have a great nearfield setup now... With new relays, the odd opamp upgrade (now NJM4558 in awkward SIP-8), sprucing up the rail decoupling and perhaps giving the shared power and signal ground a hand, this ProLogic oldie could sound pretty decent I imagine - well at least in bypass mode, the DSP section is a tad noisy as you might expect in a 23-year-old receiver.

OP
Vasr

Vasr

Major Contributor
Turned out it wasn't the amp problem but due to a mismatch between the pre-amp out and the amp input. Not sure exactly what the technical issue was but now the balance is fine. Just plugging in a pre-amp to an amp may not be as fool-proof as I thought!

Top Bottom