• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should i buy another SMPS for my Burson Conductor 3?

domiji

Hello ASR Community :)

i own a Burson Condcutor 3 XP and love the device. The Burson uses the MCSP (Max Current Power Supply: https://www.bursonaudio.com/about-us/max-current-power-supply/) power supply from Burson and this is feed by a simple genereic chinese SMPS.

I was now wondering if it is worthwhile to buy a Meanwell medical grade power supply to get any improvements? As far as i know the Meanwell SMPS are very good but i don't know if this matters because of the MCSP technology?

On the Meanwell website i find the Meanwell GSM90 power supply which should fit the specs (24V, 3.75A). Is there a difference if i take the A-Version with C13 connector or the B-Version with the C7 connector? The original SMSP from Burson has the C7 connector (without ground?)

A-Version C13:
GSM90A_DSL.JPG

B-Version C7:
wz.jpg

Thank you very much and stay safe :)

Best
Dominik

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Do you have any problems with the Burston supply? If it is not noisy then I wouldn't replace it with a Meanwell that has the same current rating. Not sure if adding a safety ground to the low voltage DC will matter, but I doubt it.

OP
domiji

domiji

Thanks for your reply :)

I don't have any problems with the power supply but i thought if there could be an audible improvement in sound quality?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If the Burson is working properly then an audible improvement is quite unlikely, and any measurable difference is likely to be small, and could favor either PS. Well designed electronics usually don't have any trouble filtering out power noise. The best reasons to consider Meanwell would probably be longevity, reliability, the brand, and pride of ownership, which are all valid, but won't improve things audibly.

OP
domiji

domiji

Thank you very much :)

So if i just buy a Meanwell (B-Version C7) just because of the reasons of longlivety and reliability everything is fine?

Top Bottom