• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I buy a fancy cable for my HD600 or just mod an original?

RensG

Well..the title says it all. I want a shorter cable for my HD600. 3 meters isn't good for anything in my opinion. I can buy a braided OCC/Silver fancy cable for mucho bucks, or just mod an original cable for about 25 euro's. Is it really wordt spending a lot of money for a fancy cable, or are the differences barely audible? Or does anybody have the ultimate tip for a good upgrade that doesn't break the bank? Yes, I went through a lot of threads on different fora, but that leaves me with only more questions.

Thanks! :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can buy a braided OCC/Silver fancy cable for mucho bucks
Beware where you buy this, because if it is from AliExpress or Amazon Marketplace, there're pretty high chances that it is fake OCC. Anyway...
Is it really wordt spending a lot of money for a fancy cable,
Nope.
or are the differences barely audible?
Not barely. Just no difference whatsoever.
Or does anybody have the ultimate tip for a good upgrade that doesn't break the bank?
Yep : EQ. ;)

staticV3

Master Contributor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Headphone cables are probably the least critical than any other audio cable so you are very unlikely to damage audio quality unless you really foul it up.

And overall, most audio cables aren't critical except microphone and line level cables should be shielded, and speaker cables need to be heavy-gauge (low resistance) enough so you don't get (much) voltage loss. Resistance also depends on length so longer lengths may need heavier gauge wire.

OP
R

RensG

Thanks guys. I suspected as much. I use my hd600’s for music production and I use Sonarworks to get a ‘linear’ response. But then…if the cable has the least impact on the sound. Should I better mod an original sennheiser cable (yes I can solder) or just buy a shorter chinese aftermarket cable?

Reactions: MAB
OP
R

RensG

Nevermind… I’m buying an original cable and I’m making two shorter cables out of it, one trs and one balanced.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nevermind… I’m buying an original cable and I’m making two shorter cables out of it, one trs and one balanced.

I made a short 4.4mm balanced cable from an original Sennheiser 3m cable...

How are you going to make 2 cables out of one?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How are you going to make 2 cables out of one?
I ASSUME he's going to buy connectors. ;) I've done that a few times, especially if I wanted a "special" connector on one end. I only have to solder one end and I get a nice factory molded connector on the other end.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've bought several sets of each of these for the business and they're transparent and never had a failure/return after getting 4-5 of each one. The more you know about cables, the less you spend on them.

FAAEAL $16

Saipomor $20

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've bought several sets of each of these for the business and they're transparent and never had a failure/return after getting 4-5 of each one. The more you know about cables, the less you spend on them.

FAAEAL $16

Saipomor $20
True story. This weekend I made some speaker cables with Amazon Basics 16ga copper and aluminum spade connectors from the hardware store that I attached with a hammer because I don't have a crimping tool. They sound great. ;)

Spokis1952

You could go for a fancy cable, but honestly, modding the original could work just fine and save you some bucks. Fancy cables might not make a huge sound diff, so saving cash with a mod could be a good call. There might be some cool upgrade tricks without splurging loads—maybe check what others have tried without breaking the bank. Forums can be a maze of info, right

JSmith

Master Contributor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ASSUME he's going to buy connectors. ;) I've done that a few times, especially if I wanted a "special" connector on one end. I only have to solder one end and I get a nice factory molded connector on the other end.

I know you can buy 2 pin plugs that are compatible with the Sennheiser earcups, but what about the little bit of plastic that stops the cable separating!? :eek:

Also, the original 3m Sennheiser cables are only £8.31 ($10.50) on Amazon UK at the moment (not much more than the cost of a pair of 2 pin plugs)...

Last edited:
Top Bottom