• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shield SMSL SU-1 Powersupply (Nvidia Shield?)

guyboisvert

There's a full set of tests on USB chargers a guy measured here if you want to see the cleanest source. I use the Samsung ETA0U60JBE which are 5V 700ma and enough for any DAC I've measured with a USB power meter when it's in use with both outputs going.
Unless bad engineering / bad design, shouldn't be affected by external power supply

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I plug a DAC into my monitor hub or a port on the gaming computer you can hear the interference if using on of the ports for power, even connected with optical. The Samsung has been measured for the same good performance as the Apple, without worrying about fakes of those they made for years.

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Planing to use the SMSL SU-1 as a DAC and Nvidia Shield PRO as a streaming device. The SU-1 is powered through USB, so it will be getting its power from the Shield. In order to perform great, I understand any DAC needs a good powersupply..., and I wonder;
1. Do anyone know if the 5V output of the Nvidia Shield USB is "clean enough"?
2. If no; Is there any way to supply the SU-1 with a better powersupply? (split the usb into (+5/gnd) & (data) - letting the data be connected into the shield, while +5/gnd is connected to a higher quality PSU?)
Any thoughts on this?
Hi ! Thank you very much for this very interesting thread
Some years ago I bought one
I read p2571 model on the bottom of the unit
I didn't use it much at the time experiencing some issues during the updating procedure
Yesterday I found it in the garage and connected it via HDMI to the tv and then to the same smsl su1 DAC via toslink
I am amazed by the quality of the sound
Very very detailed but also musical
I can here very clearly the ambient sounds in some videos like being there
This thing is really good for sound even passing through the tv
The DAC is powered by a USB charger nothing high end for sure

Last edited:

guyboisvert

If I plug a DAC into my monitor hub or a port on the gaming computer you can hear the interference if using on of the ports for power, even connected with optical. The Samsung has been measured for the same good performance as the Apple, without worrying about fakes of those they made for years.
Can get ground loop using USB + unbalanced (RCA). Computers generate sometimes that kind of problems...

Toku

Major Contributor
Planing to use the SMSL SU-1 as a DAC and Nvidia Shield PRO as a streaming device. The SU-1 is powered through USB, so it will be getting its power from the Shield. In order to perform great, I understand any DAC needs a good powersupply..., and I wonder;
1. Do anyone know if the 5V output of the Nvidia Shield USB is "clean enough"?
2. If no; Is there any way to supply the SU-1 with a better powersupply? (split the usb into (+5/gnd) & (data) - letting the data be connected into the shield, while +5/gnd is connected to a higher quality PSU?)
Any thoughts on this?
Many of the members participating in ASR are very concerned about amirm's measurement results, but they show no interest in amirm's report that there is no problem with the DAC's operation even with a PC's USB power supply. That's a very strange reaction.

I have used SU-1, PO100AK, D10s, D10B, etc., and have never had any problems with the PC's USB power supply. Of course, I also tried external power supply during that time, but nothing changed.

gino1961

I read once that has been always difficult to fight the voodoo with science
Just think of Galileo Copernicus and others
They risked their lives to promote science
I think that most people not only have difficulties in understanding science but even in accepting it

Mr Vinyl

I think there's two ways people are using this...

1. run it off a pc... then your dac is taking power from an avg, usb socket

2. run it off a phone charger... the SU-1 can use any 1a psu... and so just use any good quality phone charger... i've been using the old iphone 1a chargers that are effectively useless now

but in the case you obviously fall back onto coax or optical which isnt ideal in 2023
??? Many of us have full-fledged sound systems and use coax or optical. Not everyone listens to music (or watch movies) through phones or computers.

guyboisvert

??? Many of us have full-fledged sound systems and use coax or optical. Not everyone listens to music (or watch movies) through phones or computers.
For "Full fledge sound systems", use async USB when possible (DAC uses its internal clock): Superior to coax or optical which are dumb slave clock interfaces. Obviously, it would be feasible for a DAC to receive the data from coax or optical and still buffer the data + use local clock, i'm not sure if some does. I see so many people using Raspberry Pi with AES hats, reclockers, linear power supplies, etc. a total waste of time and money when you can just use USB!

gino1961

If the su-1 is used I don't think it reclocks the signal internally
I have another pro DAC that indeed reclocks the incoming digital feed
The sound is very similar using any digital inputs

Top Bottom