• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup Review (former Audiolab Omnia vs 9000)

SiriusCanopus

Hi Guys,

I am looking for an amp for Linton 85. This is my first HiFi setup and I was thinking, maybe I can get Omnia as all-in-one solution (Streamer, AMP, CDT), rather going full mode and get 9000 (A, N, CDT), and then the speakers will be the cheapest among all of these xD. Maybe I overread the forums instead of listening, but here is the question:

Is Omnia good-enough for Linton, or it is still better go with 9000A and then eventually get the all 3? Can you please describe what I will get with Omnia and what is the benefit to go separate devices? Thank you in advance

Miniyouuuu

I have a 9000A+Linton, and I really like what I get. Specs are nice, and also measures well:

With 9000 you get double the power (160vs75W 4ohm, 100vs50W 8ohm) and better DAC (9038Pro vs 9038Q2M), but you lose the streamer and depending on offers, Omnia could be half the price.

Audiolab 9000 plays on another league: more power, better construction, nice materials… and be sure Lintons sound better with more power, but double the price won’t serve you a whole different experience, just marginally better bass.

If you want a streamer, get a Wiim Pro or
Streaming tecnology evolves fast and Omnia is already old: no airplay, no Hdmi eArc…

Many alternatives could be better than omnia: audiolab 7000, Leak 230, Yamana NR800/1000, cambrigde audio ax81… and plenty of Class D amps

And If you want an all-in-one solution get an AV Receiver: marantz cinema 70, Denon 3800, onkyo rz50…

Miniyouuuu

Why would you spend more on the amp than the speakers? What do you think Audiolab brings to the table?
I got the same question, I bought the Lintons, but my eyes are on Mission 770. And 770s double the 9000a price. What an astonishing speakers!!

GaryY

Forum Donor
I would prefer fixing the plan with decent class D amplifier (which can be way cheaper than 9000A) and then consider streamer/pre/DAC with the rest budget.

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

Thanks guys for helping keep my head cold xD. I was a bit overwhelmed with options, but now I think I will stick to Leak 230, Yamana NR800/1000. Need to find and listen to them now

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

So my Lintons are out of stock (will be in a month) and shop proposed me other options, and now I am back at square one. I have narrowed what I am looking for to the following (based on the availability in my region)

1. Linton 85 vs Focal T.2 vs Evo 4.4 or something around 1900 eur
2. Denon PMA-900HNE / 1700NE vs Yamaha R-N1000A (They gave me good and similar price for Denon 1700 and Yamaha 1000)
3. + CD Transport of the same brand.

What would be the best combination here? And am I right that Denon 1700 has no streaming possibility like 900?

Last edited:

Miniyouuuu

Linton + Leak 230 :) visual match and Hdmi eArc for TV connection.

1705354769227.jpeg

Or Audiolab 7000a +7000cdt+7000n
1705354678437.jpeg

Wonderfull combination of separates:
amp with Hdmi eArc+Cd transport+streamer

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

Linton + Leak 230 :) visual match and Hdmi eArc for TV connection.

I was trying to avoid this combination, but it seems like it might be the simplest one xD. Thank you for your patience :) I will plan to listen to these options in next week, but maybe Leak and Linton is what I need :)

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Linton 85 vs Focal T.2 vs Evo 4.4 or something around 1900 eur
If by Focal T2, you mean Theva N°2, these are not in the same league as the Linton (meaning: below). Where do you leave? The prices you announce are very (very) high.
(They gave me good and similar price for Denon 1700 and Yamaha 1000)
Both are priced the same, so that goes without saying.
Wonderfull combination of separates:
amp with Hdmi eArc+Cd transport+streamer
That's indeed a good aesthetic match. Stacks with gears from the same line, same brands are pleasant, but don't expect them to "match" together soundwise. Just about any CDT or Streamer will do the trick with any good amp.
And am I right that Denon 1700 has no streaming possibility like 900?
Yes. The 1700NE is not a streamer.

For 899€, Audiophonics have this : LinkPlay (WiiM) streaming module, ES9038 DAC and nCore NC252 that you will find in much pricer solutions, such as NAD M10V2 or Cambridge Evo 150...
It doesn't look great, tho.

Also, there are actually many deals on NAD C399, BluOs and nCore integrated.

The Leak looks cool, measures OK, but it is not a powerhouse.

phillie_s19

I have a 9000A+Linton, and I really like what I get. Specs are nice, and also measures well:

With 9000 you get double the power (160vs75W 4ohm, 100vs50W 8ohm) and better DAC (9038Pro vs 9038Q2M), but you lose the streamer and depending on offers, Omnia could be half the price.

Audiolab 9000 plays on another league: more power, better construction, nice materials… and be sure Lintons sound better with more power, but double the price won’t serve you a whole different experience, just marginally better bass.

If you want a streamer, get a Wiim Pro or
Streaming tecnology evolves fast and Omnia is already old: no airplay, no Hdmi eArc…

Many alternatives could be better than omnia: audiolab 7000, Leak 230, Yamana NR800/1000, cambrigde audio ax81… and plenty of Class D amps

And If you want an all-in-one solution get an AV Receiver: marantz cinema 70, Denon 3800, onkyo rz50…
Thanks. I were also looking for such explanation

Miniyouuuu

For 899€, Audiophonics have this : LinkPlay (WiiM) streaming module, ES9038 DAC and nCore NC252 that you will find in much pricer solutions, such as NAD M10V2 or Cambridge 150

In my case, having and external streamer gave me the chance to implement Dirac/REW with a MiniDSP Flex Digital in between streamer and amp. Maximum flexibility and room control.

MiniDSP SHD include streamer (volumio) and DAC. Measures well as DAC and will match any amp through RCA line In.

Some NAD amps have Dirac, but you’ll need more than 2000$.

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

So, I have listened to Lintons with:
1. Bluesound
2. Leak 130 / 230
3. Audiolab 6000, 7000, 9000.

I liked 9000 most, then 230, then 7000. Everything else is no go for me. Part of my budget goes into renovation and building a listening room, so 9000 become out of budget for a moment. 230 and 7000 are very close, 230 are more "warm" and 7000 more "clear" to my ear. Need to think over this :rolleyes:

GaryY

Forum Donor
As you wrote you would go only one out of these choices, I can't recommend anything else. But all of those are questionable to me.

Bluesound : since I saw not good measurement, I wousld not buy ..

Leak : when i look at the measurement, it's questionable how it sounds in high volume.

Audiolab set : was my 1st idea and optically looks nice. But i didn't buy it even before visiting ASR because of this question.
7000A + 7000N "why should I pay 2 times for the same DAC?"

Sorry if this is disturbing.

OP
S

SiriusCanopus

Audiolab set : was my 1st idea and optically looks nice. But i didn't buy it even before visiting ASR because of this question.
7000A + 7000N "why should I pay 2 times for the same DAC?"
Thank you for the input, actually when I have finally heard them, at least I know my baseline for the further research :) I agree with you on 7000A and N for the same DAC. So for now, 230 for me is a good value for money. The next level (to my current knowledge} I would consider Yamaha S1200, but it's almost double the price of 230 where I live and I haven't heard it yet.

Nevertheless, @GaryY what would consider as the good AMP below 2200 eur?

GaryY

Forum Donor
Thank you for the input, actually when I have finally heard them, at least I know my baseline for the further research :) I agree with you on 7000A and N for the same DAC. So for now, 230 for me is a good value for money. The next level (to my current knowledge} I would consider Yamaha S1200, but it's almost double the price of 230 where I live and I haven't heard it yet.

Well.... :) I doubt if I'm proper person to give you right recommendation. But I would say 2200 is not small budget at all. In that case, in my experience, it enough budget for any class D purify amplifier + decent (streamer+DAC+pre amplifier in one box.) I would feel much safer than Leak 230. In case, when you would like to limit total cost for Leak 130, I would go for Wiim Pro Plus + TPA3255 or Hypex amplifier.

The recommendation of @VintageFlanker looks also very good option.

GaryY

Forum Donor

One more concern with audiolab is I read some threads in this site complaining bugs in firmware.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
So, I have listened to Lintons with:
1. Bluesound
2. Leak 130 / 230
3. Audiolab 6000, 7000, 9000.

I liked 9000 most, then 230, then 7000. Everything else is no go for me. Part of my budget goes into renovation and building a listening room, so 9000 become out of budget for a moment. 230 and 7000 are very close, 230 are more "warm" and 7000 more "clear" to my ear. Need to think over this :rolleyes:
Whatever you heard is not real. In a level matched blind test you would not be able to tell them apart.

All these devices measure well enough so they are indistinguishable sound wise (at least when operated within their capabilities ie not clipping).
Human brains play tricks on us and unconscious bias prevails. Plus many times levels are not matched (due to different power and gain of the devices) and therefore one plays louder than another. And louder is always perceived better (age old hifi dealer trick - turn up the most expensive one).

Sure buy what you love, also optically but don’t buy because you liked the sound better (of electronics).

Just saying - might save you a buck which you better invest in speakers where (next to EQ) you get the most sound bang for your buck.

Have fun.

(I buy electronics only by measurements. Speakers I listen to, but only at home. At dealer it is hopeless. But that’s me.)

Top Bottom