• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

Xaviedie

Hello, I would like the best filter (EQ) of the HD650 to join them to EQUALIZER APO, thank you

Xaviedie

Thank you, could you post the data of the filters above so that I send it to APO EQUALIZER

Example:

Preamp: -8.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 75 Hz Gain 3.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 7600 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 13700 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 4.0

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, could you post the data of the filters above so that I send it to APO EQUALIZER

Example:

Just use PEACE and move the sliders around and write them in yourself. Or just add the filters using the EqualiserAPO interface. Once you've learned how to use the EqualiserAPO interface (without PEACE) then it's a very powerful GUI & program. Just write them in yourself either using PEACE (easier at first for newbies) or using the GUI of EqualiserAPO (easier for people familiar with it). EqualiserAPO GUI is actually a lot more powerful and easier to use once you know how than PEACE.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Example:

I think you need to do the heavy lifting there.

roskodan

Example:

Use PEACE GUI, it has and import function. Importing .txt files with the preset lines will set the PEQ. Check my profile for all the links. Use AutoEQ presets for best Harman target results. I usually just boost the bass with a low shelf filter, easy to set up with PEACE GUI.

TL;DR

staticV3

Master Contributor
Use AutoEQ presets for best Harman target results.
AutoEQ presents don't use the Harman target though. They use the AutoEQ target, which is Harman minus 2dB bass:
AutoEQ Target vs Harman OE2018.png

isostasy

On the subject, does anyone find much of a difference reducing 100-300Hz (often called the 'mid-bass hump' on this headphone)? My EQ preset is usually something like:

LS 30 Hz Gain 12.0 dB Q 0.7
PK 200 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.3

But I'll be damned if I can tell the difference between this and a single LS by itself (i.e. without the 200Hz cut) most of the time.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the subject, does anyone find much of a difference reducing 100-300Hz (often called the 'mid-bass hump' on this headphone)? My EQ preset is usually something like:

But I'll be damned if I can tell the difference between this and a single LS by itself (i.e. without the 200Hz cut) most of the time.
That 2nd filter would help reduce muddiness (can increase clarity). Maybe you're not that sensitive to that phenomenon, or your headphone might be a bit different than the measurements due to unit to unit variation, but Sennheisers are normally pretty reliable unit to unit, but there can be some variation.

EDIT: and you're also not boosting the bass much eventhough you have a massive 12dB Low Shelf at 30Hz, and that's because it's at 30Hz which means that you're not boosting the audible part of the bass by all that much (I checked using REW) - for instance the Oratory EQ boosts the audible part of the bass quite a bit more than your EQ, so it could be that because you're not boosting the bass much then you don't require the extra clarity that can be derived by that 2nd filter of yours in the muddy bass zone.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I do. Well I don't have the 650, but for 600 and 6xx I do use the 200hz dialed in. For me the big difference is when I am watching videos, without that, people sound a bit nasal to me.

Last edited:

isostasy

That 2nd filter would help reduce muddiness (can increase clarity). Maybe you're not that sensitive to that phenomenon, or your headphone might be a bit different than the measurements due to unit to unit variation, but Sennheisers are normally pretty reliable unit to unit, but there can be some variation.

EDIT: and you're also not boosting the bass much eventhough you have a massive 12dB Low Shelf at 30Hz, and that's because it's at 30Hz which means that you're not boosting the audible part of the bass by all that much (I checked using REW) - for instance the Oratory EQ boosts the audible part of the bass quite a bit more than your EQ, so it could be that because you're not boosting the bass much then you don't require the extra clarity that can be derived by that 2nd filter of yours in the muddy bass zone.
I do. Well I don't have the 650, but for 600 and 6xx I do use the 200hz dialed in. For me the big difference is when I am watching videos, without that, people sound a bit nasal to me.
I meant HD6XX sorry, using HD650 interchangeably. I think you might be right, I might just not notice it much. Interesting that it makes voices nasally. I listen at very low volumes much of the time so that might be it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just got my HD650's today. Wish i'd bought some 9 years ago (When I first got into headphones) :)
Enjoy, for many of us they've proven an end-game headphone.
I gave up my obsession with searching for better close to 10 years ago.
I'm not saying they're SOTA, but seems everything I've listened to after have
some negative that offset any improvements?
YMMV

Enjoy, for many of us they've proven an end-game headphone.
I gave up my obsession with searching for better close to 10 years ago.
I'm not saying they're SOTA, but seems everything I've listened to after have
some negative that offset any improvements?
YMMV
They complement my Denon AH-D7200 closed back so I'll be keeping them and I can't part with my Custom Fostex T50Rp but the DT770's are going and I think the Sundara's might go as well. I'll keep the HD560s for work.

Xaviedie

For me.. via RME ADI 2 DAC
Hifiman He400se > HD650 (too dark (haze effect) with lower quality bass) = HD560S (The most dynamic of the 3, but a bit sharp in the treble, with tight bass)

Hifiman He400 is => neutrality with faithful bass, wider soundstage, you can wear it all day, it's just perfect to my ears (no EQ needed)

PS: The 2 Sennheisers are tiring (a little) compared to the Hifiman

Only defect, it is more difficult to drive than the other 2 Sennheisers

Easy to feed:
HD560S > HD650 > Hifiman He400se

They are all 3 excellent headphones but if I had to keep one headphone for life, it's the Hifiman He400se by far.. be careful to go your way if you don't have a beefy headphone amp

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HD560S > HD650 > Hifiman He400se

if I had to keep one headphone for life, it's the Hifiman He400se by far
Usually A > B means A is greater than B. Your unexpected symbolism confused my OCD.

delta76

Major Contributor
@amirm, so going forward are you just positing the 1 channel target deviation and not the 2 channel raws? Would help to know in order to setup my spreadsheets to be streamlined.

Preference Rating
SCORE: 73

Again, the huge 10kHz dip (-20dB, Oratory’s is -10dB) is reducing the score a lot.
we don't do this anymore? I meant pref score with and without eq? Is the rating not reliable or?

Top Bottom