• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

sennheiser cx true wireless

Willem

Major Contributor
My wife wants to have some not too expensive wireless earbuds for Christmas. This is a product type I know nothing about, other than that Sennheiser is a very respectable brand. So I found the Sennheiser CX true wireless earbuds at 80 euros, which seems to be the right kind of price for something that would probably be sonically decent and pretty well made, and yet not so expensive that you regret too much if you break or lose them. Am I right in that? Also, these don't have active noise suppression. Some seem to think that this is a disadvantage, but others say this is better when cycling.
Please earbud experts, share your wisdom.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sennheiser makes great headphones, but their IEMs are truly hit or miss.

The CX True Wireless looks pretty darn awful:
graph (41) (3).png

You can frequently find the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 brand new on eBay for ~60€. I think those are some of the best value in the TWS segment.

We have GRAS measurements of the Buds2 from at least two different sources: oratory1990 and 0dB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5wyqbgywx3kytu/Samsung SM-R177 Galaxy Buds 2.pdf?dl=0
https://www.0db.co.kr/index.php?_fi...e&search_keyword=Samsung&document_srl=2024330

The FR discrepancy might be firmware related, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with making recommendations for a good wireless earbuds for cycling is that a lot of what will be good for her will be very personal, and although it might be possible to point out to a few "good sounding ones", qualities beyond sound quality like fit, comfort, wind noise rejection etc will be a lot more important than the tuning of the earphones. Personally, I would not shortlist Sennies for such a use case and look at rtings.com running headphones list for suggestions.

ANC might be a blessing or a curse depending on how it is set up to handle wind sounds. Sound isolation might be a problem too and personally I think bone conduction headphones might be a good option from safety and enjoyment point of view.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot. I just ordered the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 for 75 euros. Looking at the graphs they do not even look too bad without eq. I will have to look into the equalizer in the software. What I also like is that several reviews claim that the microphone is really good for an earbud. My wife uses a Samsung phone, so integration should be relatively easy. If we like it, I might even buy one for myself. I still have a wired Sennheiser headphone with noise cancelling, but my new Samsung phone no longer has a connection for that. On the other hand, I often prefer not to listen to music when I am travelling, and I do not make many phonecalls either. My wife is a far more connected person.

Top Bottom