• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

seeking DAC with Toslink input, 5.1 support, 3.5mm stereo output

coyote

My LG TV won't simultaneously output audio via it's Toslink and 3.5 mm ports, so I plan to split the Toslink signal (with one cable going to my 5.1 soundbar).

Don't need the DAC to amplify (where the 3.5 mm signal is going has it's own amplification).

Hope to get the best DAC for up to $200.

I plan to get this
https://jtechdigital.com/product/spdif-toslink-optical-audio-1x3-splitter/
splitter, but happy to hear a better suggestion.

Last edited:

Chazz6

The Denon HEOS Link has the input and outputs you want, and hence a built-in DAC. It also receives wi-fi. With patience I found a used one for the price you specify.

OP
coyote

coyote

After consulting with an audio guru friend, I discovered that since I play files with many audio formats, I wanted more than a DAC, I wanted a Converter/Downmixer. I got the MuxLab 500088 he suggested, and it even downmixes 7.1 my soundbar can't play.

I'm overjoyed to be freed from the incessantly crazy-making drilling into the TV's settings to toggle between the Headphone and Optical outputs.

Top Bottom