• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Security Threats with USB DACs?

N Fowleri

Hi Everybody!

I am really enjoying reading the forum. I want my music to sound good and don't want to waste money on equipment that doesn't live up to its hype.

I have been very tempted by some of the excellent Chinese DACs reviewed on this forum. I have a many-years-old ifi iDSD Nano. (I also have Vanatoo Transparent Zeros with their own DAC.)

However, I have concerns about plugging devices from relatively-small foreign tech firms. Has anybody else considered this?

My concern would be both for criminal hacking and state-sponsored espionage, though I wouldn't be a target of the latter.

Here is an article about compromised USB charging ports, which would seem a similar type of issue: Juice Jacking: How Hackers Can Steal Your Info When You Charge

Any IT security experts out there who also happen to like nice audio setups?

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been very tempted by some of the excellent Chinese DACs reviewed on this forum. I have a many-years-old ifi iDSD Nano. (I also have Vanatoo Transparent Zeros with their own DAC.)

However, I have concerns about plugging devices from relatively-small foreign tech firms. Has anybody else considered this?
You can install programs to monitor USB and Internet packets, for example Glasswire.

AudiOhm

Once you understand how USB power and USB data is transmitted you will laugh at the posted link...

Ohms

OP
N

N Fowleri

Thank you everybody for the speedy answers! I am somewhat reassured. I guess some of this started when I recently read CNN article about Huawei. However, when I first heard about concerns with Chinese networking equipment, my response was "The U.S. governement knows how big the threat is because of what it has done with Cisco equipment."

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you everybody for the speedy answers! I am somewhat reassured. I guess some of this started when I recently read CNN article about Huawei. However, when I first heard about concerns with Chinese networking equipment, my response was "The U.S. governement knows how big the threat is because of what it has done with Cisco equipment."
The Chinese are much more interested in stealing blueprints than monitoring what your DAC is doing.

OP
N

N Fowleri

The Chinese are much more interested in stealing blueprints than monitoring what your DAC is doing.
Well, it wasn't that I thought my playlists were classified national security information nor that I was embarrassed about trying some DSD files. It was that the DAC would access other data on my computer. Although I don't have any type of security clearance or access to technical blueprints, I bet there are folks on this forum who have these.

Anyway, I am dropping the whole thing because I was just curious. Now, I just need to think about Sabaj, SMSL, or Topping. Then I have to figure out what software to use, so that I can try parametric EQ.

I have an x86 iMac, btw, as the source. I have the aforementioned ifi iDSD Nano DAC, Vanatoo T0s, various headphones, including Skullcandy Hesh 2 (bought at an airport when I had forgotten mine), Sony WH-1000xm3, Grado RS2, and B&W P5s (second-hand gift).

AlephAlpha001

I'd be more worried about your own government. The PRC is not precisely a cuddly panda bear, but it's not very interested in the contents of your head an ocean or two away.

Let me guess: You run MS Windows which is riddled with 'telemetry' being phoned home constantly.

You run Intel or AMD processors which have Intel Management Engine or whatever the AMD equivalent is which allows (shall we politely say?) Non-Chinese state level actors access to everything inside your computer from *below* the level of whichever OS you happen to be running. The possibilities are endless and can make your head spin at the resonant frequency of an Iranian centrifuge.

Every day you browse countless websites which might or might not be compromised. Your Bank's IT is likely run by (well I don't want to get moderated) hardly the brightest most switched on folks ever cracked open a volume of Knuth (who?).

Chill and enjoy the music.

Top Bottom